Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121187  
Subject: Re: First Time With Schedule D Date: 2/26/2000 11:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<Warning: long post with lots of math!>>

Warning: Short answer with no math checking. Please understand that most of the folks who are kind enough to visit and respond to questions here have only limited time. So trying to break down various computations for YOUR specific return doesn't really provide the rest of the community with any knowledge or understanding. I'll be glad to take a look at your theory, and help you out there. But there is just no time right not for detailed math checks. At least I don't have the time. Perhaps some other giving Fool will look at your numbers and help you out specifically. But I'll be happy to speak to you in theory.

<<I have capital gains from the sale of stock for the first time, and I think I understand almost everything I need to complete schedule D, but I'd like to run a few things by you guys.>>

There are a lot of articles in the Taxes FAQ area that you might want to read in order to supplement your understanding of the issues. Also, don't forget to read the instructions for Schedule D. They contain a lot of good stuff.

<<a) I bought 18 shares of GPS in June, 1998 at 53.8125, 9.99 commission,
for a total cost basis of $978.62. In Dec. it split 3:2, so then I had 27 shares (18*3/2) at 35.8750 (53.8125*2/3). So far so good. Now in June, 1999, it split 3:2 again. That gave me 40.5 shares (27*3/2) at 23.9167 (35.8750*2/3). Those shares got divided, of course, into 40 whole shares and a cash-in-lieu, so I divided my commission into:
40 shares 9.87 (9.99/40.5*40)
.5 shares 0.12 (9.99/40.5*0.5)
Later, I sold the 40 shares as well, so I enter 2 lines on schedule D, line 8 (both were long term since the original buy date was 6/1/98).
40 shares sold with cost basis $966.54 (40*23.9167+9.87) and
cash in lieu with cost basis $12.08 (0.5*23.9167+0.12)

I think the Fool's examples computed a new cost per share which included the commission, which perhaps would have been an easier way to do this, but it seemed like an extra unnecessary column in the spreadsheet at the time. I'm doing it right, though?>>

It appears that you have already reviesed my articles on tax splits and spin offs in the Taxes FAQ area. I think that if you follow the examples, you'll be on track.

<<b) I hope you're still with me, since part a was just a warm-up.

Sorry...you just lost me. What I can tell you is that you'll need the various formulas that were used in the spin offs and split ups from the various companies to track your basis and compute your basis in the fractional shares. But when I got to the third paragraph of your explanation, my eyes glazed over. Sorry.

<<c) Ok, how exactly do I enter my descriptions (in general) in column a? The full company name, or abbreviations OK? Or stock ticker? There really isn't a whole lot of room to write in there, especially on my state form. What about the cash-in-lieu's? Do I have to write out "cash in lieu for Gap, Inc." or what?>>

You can use virtually anything that you described above. The Ticker, a description, whatever. In my practice, I show the total number of shares sold and the description (not ticker). But my computer program allows for a two-line entry.

<<Thanks for letting me take advantage of your collected wisdom.>>

Wish I could help you out with the math checking. I'd be happy to do so after April 17th.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement