UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (121) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884510  
Subject: Re: Graduation Gifts Date: 7/5/2010 2:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 76
<<Why not? There are times to be very cautious and times to enjoy the money you have.

1.) She has no responsibilities.
Once she starts serious job hunting a long trip will not be possible.>>

She is four year past the age of being an adult. The extended childhood of college is over.

She should be paying rent to her parents and saving money for the needs of the future.

Frankly, she's acting like a spoiled child in my opinion. Probably her parents are continuing that as a family tradition, but it's not very attractive for a woman her age, in my opinion.

Maybe she has a cranky old uncle who sees everything through the prism of money, a cranky old uncle who squeezes a nickel until the buffalo roars. Perhaps her parents and family have raised her warning "Remember, you don't want to grow up to be like Uncle Scrooge." Perhaps the family (and therefore the girl) see money as a means to an end (i.e. a rich, full life) and not as an end in itself.

Perhaps her mother and dad are 45 to 50 years old and they started work the day after either high school or college graduation. Perhaps one of these parents knows or works with someone who took a couple of months after college and drove across the US or hiked across Europe before starting to work. And perhaps that parent regrets not having seen Big Ben, the Vatican, Gibralter, the Eiffel Tower, etc., with young eyes, feeling as if one's chest would explode with the thrill of it all. Perhaps that cranky old uncle shamed them into skipping the trip and they're just a wee bit bitter.

So I say to this graduate: Go for it. Take off for Europe. Have a wonderful time. Remember that when you're as old as your cranky old uncle is now, you're not going to regret the things you did. You're going to regret the things you didn't do. Your cranky old uncle, I'm sure, doesn't regret anything, but he probably has no imagination so we have to cut him some slack. Send lots of postcards. Have fun.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (121) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement