UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1952  
Subject: Re: Dark skin? Supplement Vitamin D! Date: 10/21/2009 3:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<most black people don't feel the need to 'lay out' in the sun to tan.>

The sun in Africa is very strong. Most of the UV rays (which can cause cancer) are screened out by melanin, the dark pigment in the skin. Enough gets through to give Africans Vitamin D...if they live under the strong African sun.

The darker the skin, the more effective the screening. Good for skin cancer. Bad for Vitamin D, if the black person lives in an area with weak sun.

Even if a black person "lays out" in the sun to tan, they may still not get enough rays penetrating to make enough Vitamin D. That goes double if they live in, say, Chicago instead of Miami.

I think it's important for each of us to get a blood test for Vitamin D. That's the only way to know whether your particular skin and sun exposure are making adequate Vitamin D. If you are dark, live in the northern states, and don't spend much time in the sun, the answer is probably no. During the winter, the answer is definitely no.

White people at least can build up a reserve of Vitamin D during the summer, if they spend enough time in the sun. Vitamin D is a fat soluble molecule, which is stored in the body for a couple of months. But black people may not have a summer reserve, if the sun in their locality is weak.

Black men have a higher rate of prostate cancer than white men. Nobody seems to know why. Is Vitamin D deficiency the cause?

Vitamin D is very cheap. Costco has 1000 mg pills for 5 cents each. The diseases that correlate with Vitamin D deficiency are devastating. The blood tests are $40 each -- not cheap, but not terribly expensive.

I think it's worth getting a baseline blood test (your current lifestyle). Then take supplements for a while and take another blood test.

I don't follow the African-American press, but I haven't heard this described as a black health issue in the general press. If 10 cents a day per person can significantly improve the health of the whole black population, why isn't everyone talking about it?

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement