No. of Recommendations: 0
<My wife recently changed jobs and we have to do something with her pension money from the old job.
It isn't a lot (~20k) but I would like to keep it's non tax status, at the same time I want to go into something more aggressive, My problem is, I don't have a clue. We have another 10 years before I retire from the state of Michigan. Can anyone help?>

Sure: First look at URL:

for help on choosing a stock broker (if you do not have one with which you are completely satisfied), and set up an self-directed IRA or a Roth-IRA. Then do a custodian-to-custodian transfer of the account from the old account to this. In the new IRA you will be able to trade any stocks, bonds, or mutual funds you wish. No margin, no options, no precious metals except U.S.Eagles (and they are a bad deal in an IRA). If the money is in a defined benefit plan, you may not be able to get the money out.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.