Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<quote>You need a corrected W-2. There's no need for any money to change hands, assuming that you repaid the net amount that you were erroneously paid.

If you can't get a corrected W-2, file your returns with the correct figures (including the lesser amount of withholding) and attach an explanation.</quote>

Do you mean a corrected W-2 from my employer? They said they couldn't give me one. It might have been because they sat on my check until after January 1st. Maybe that means I'm supposed to report it on my 2004 taxes. This whole thing has been a big headache, as I've now paid a few hundred dollars in income tax, FICA, and state income tax that I didn't need to pay.

I file my taxes on-line through TurboTax, so I don't know how I could attach an explanation.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.