UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35363  
Subject: Re: selling bonds Date: 3/31/2006 1:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
<"You'll have 5 years to liquidate the FBO account fully, and you may want to take > the minimum to do that, subject to your own personal tax planning "issues"."
I don't understand what this means. I'm not aware of any five year time limits? >

If you establish the inherited IRA account correctly -- and you seem to have done this, fortunately -- you do NOT have to liquidate the inherited IRA in 5 years.

I have an inherited IRA. You should request that the brokerage company distribute the Minimum Required Distributions (MRDs) based on YOUR age. If the growth in the investments are higher than the MRDs, your inherited IRA can grow, for the rest of your life.

Like your Dad, my mother also invested with a full-service brokerage. I can't emphasize how much I hate these guys (in her case, Prudential). They exist to fleece you. You can transfer all your investments, in kind, to Fidelity. You don't have to sell the bonds, to do this. Then, take your time, and learn as much as you can about investing. At Fidelity, you are totally in control of your investments.

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement