Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA or regular IRA $22,000?? Date: 1/31/2000 1:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<snip> Should I put it in a roth IRA or a reg IRA? I don't even know for sure if I can roll it into a ROTH IRA.

You can't do a rollover to a Roth IRA. Any rollover must be to a regular IRA. However, immediately after the rollover, you could convert the regular IRA to a Roth. This conversion will trigger taxes on your IRA, but there will be no penalty. Most advice I've heard says that you need to be able to pay the taxes from funds other than the IRA, or you'd be better off not converting.

So, you can't directly rollover the funds to a Roth, but you can easily get there by going through a traditional IRA first.

I remember reading something about only being able to put $2,000 per year into a ROTH IRA.

That's for your annual contribution. Conversions from a traditional IRA don't count against this limit.

Would a ROTH IRA be better in the longterm? Someone told me I should decide based on my tax bracket now and my tax bracket when I would be taking the money out. I do not understand tax brackets very much and don't know whether my tax bracket will be lower now or in the future when I retire.

This is just one of many variables to consider. If you're not comfortable doing this analysis on your own, I'd suggest you find a good financial planner or tax advisor to go over your situation in detail. There are a lot of things to consider, and some professional advice on this decision is usually a good investment.

Good luck with your decisions.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement