Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<The result seems to be that I've been paying taxes for the past couple of years on a higher amount than I actually have in the IRA now. In addition, if the tax cuts go into effect, I've been paying at a higher rate than if I had not converted or waited to convert.>

When it comes to the tax laws, all are subject to change. It is my opinion that one day we will see Roth IRA distributions taxed, as it will be too ripe a plum for an always hungry federal government to resist.

As for the value of the stocks in there now, keep in mind the reasons you bought them in the first place. Hopefully, you put a lot of time into picking good quality companies. In the "long run" that should be well rewarded.

BRG

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement