UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mrsloane Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947910  
Subject: Re: Justice and bias Date: 4/12/2001 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<This part of your post does not go down well with me. IMO, it does not make sense to talk about a group being disadvantaged. It is better to say that the individual is disadvantaged because of his group membership. This might sound like hair splitting, but I think it makes for clearer thinking.>

Yeah it might be hair splitting or it might not. I just think back to my situation growing up (being a women and being viewed with biases, as are we all, in one area of another). I never saw myself as disadvantaged but I certainly saw my group as being disadvantaged. Because of who I am I just worked to overcome the consequences of the bias. I knew I wasn't stupid, I knew I wasn't overly emotional. Was it tempting to use societies biases as an excuse not be achieve my personal goals? To some extent but I think excuses only work in the short term. But in the long run who loses more? Me or society. One could argue, in the big scheme of things, society does since it would lose my contributions. But I am much more focussed on my own needs. I am much more comfortable leaving society to change based on the contributions of it's indiviual members. I think society becoming better (quality of life in general) as a function of the abilities of its individuals to succeed. Not the opposite. It all starts with the individual.

As a matter of fact, now that I think about it more, it's probably one of the reasons that we have so much trouble applying statistics to human populations. When we measure a bin of, say ball bearings for diameter, it is the diameter of the individuals that determine our perception of the population. But humans have a tendency to start out with the perceptions and then find ways to measure if they exist in the individuals in that population. Just a thought.

Michele

Micheel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement