UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ortman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75601  
Subject: Re: 401k Info Date: 7/2/1998 12:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<To add two more cents to the pot, I would only contribute up to the maximum of the employer match. You'll never get a second shot at this "free money". Then I would defer all other cash to paying off the debt. After that debt is gone, THEN I would max out the 401K *and* an IRA.>

<Note: Some debt is acceptable, like mortgages. I also might not view student loans with too harsh an eye.>

Perhaps I should quantify. My total debt is equal to about 75% of my annual salary. One third of that is in the form of an auto loan, while the other two thirds is in the form of evil credit cards. The weighted interest rate is about 14%. Needless to say, I become rather depressed when I dwell on how much I pay each much in finance charges.

My employer matches .25 to 1 for the first 6% of my salary, with a 25/50/75/100 vesting period. I was planning on contributing the 6% to get the "free" cash, then plowing every penny left over into my various obligations (before I get used to the increased income). After I pay off all my debt (target 2 - 2.5 years), I was going to evaluate my financial position and determine at that time what to do.

Does this reasoning have at least some logic to it?

-Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement