UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41633  
Subject: Re: So about Verizon Date: 12/11/2012 1:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
<What's interesting here, and what's affecting all the charts with a similar pattern, is the 2000 dot.com bubble. The whole bubble, from the 1997 start of the run-up, is still included in those charts, making the starting prices suddenly out of whack.

I think that, at least for the next few years as the 16 year charts continue to begin in the midst of the bubble, you'll see patterns that aren't so useful.>

Sorry for the long delay, but I haven't been frequenting this board weekly as I did when Jack Cade published the Mr. Goodbuy stock screen.

When Build'M'Well (BMW) began his stock investing (so he told the story), he used the rulers and curves that all engineers owned before computer aided design. (My father had them, also.) BMW used his rulers to draw lines that seemed to make sense over the long term stock prices.

It was Dr. Mike Klein who used his deep math knowledge to draw curves and calculate CAGRs (for which we all owe him a debt of gratitude).

BMW himself said that admired Mike's math but he still used his rulers.

I agree with your observations that the 2000 stock bubble and the 2008 crash distorted the calculations of CAGR. It might make more sense to go back to BMW's method and draw your own curves with a ruler, using your feeling for how the market would realistically have valued stocks without these extreme swings.

As kelbon points out, the BMW Method only works if a company's business has been stable over the time period you are studying.

In addition, the unusual actions of the Federal Reserve since the 2008 crash (forcing money into stocks by inflating the money supply and cutting bond yields to zero) may be causing stock prices to rise. If and when the market is allowed to revert to normal, prices may drop. The lowest risk is probably with low-beta stocks with strong balance sheets, low P/E ratios and a well-covered dividend.

Wendy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement