UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GeneWilliamson Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2387  
Subject: Re: Education Decline - No Accident? Date: 8/7/2000 12:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
<When I was in high school (Class of '77) they started teaching classes like "Seminar in Star Trek" and "Intro to Filmmaking" in the English department. Even as a kid who liked an easy class, I always wondered what the heck either had to do with English. In retrospect, I would have preferred more of the "3 R's.">

What happens in courses like this depends entirely on the teacher. I can guarantee you that if I were assigned to teach "Seminar in Star Trek" you would not only use every English skill you possessed, but you would learn a lot of new ones that might even be missed in a mainstream English class.

People told me that we should teach "General Science" and that "Oceanography " would never fly. They changed their tune when they saw top science students registering for the class above and beyond their standard science courses simply because they wanted the challenge.

Students will give you exactly what you are willing to demand of them as long as they respect you. Teachers will do the same for their administrators, administrators for the school board, and school board for the patrons, but the key at every level is respect, and that is earned, not demanded.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement