UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757827  
Subject: Re: amazon's best read of the yr. Date: 12/11/2012 6:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
<When it came to Chopin, however, she did not use the flowery ornamentation or the endless trills and insipid floribunda of so many of her day. Her playing was of the utmost sincerity. And Chopin, played simply, devastates the heart.>

I'm surprised 2828 didn't pick up on this.

Have you seen the DVD marking the 40th anniversary of the Doors L.A. Woman album? It is a good watch for the overall insight into how the material was produced and the work that went into it.

One of the bits shows keyboardest Ray Manzarek talking about the song Hyacinth House. He mentions that one of the keyboard pieces he plays during the song is directly borrowed from fellow countryman Chopin. Listening to it more closely, you realize how the sum of the parts again exceeded the very good individual pieces. Each musician was at the top of their game and the lyrics were spot on.

Morrison lamented that he needed a brand new friend, "I need someone...who doesn't need me". The musical arrangements really brought out the best on all of the cuts. Morrisons voice was not in top form, yet his bandmates (plus Elvis' bass player Jerry Scheff) added a much fuller dimension to each song. The bass lines really speak to you on LA Woman and Riders on the Storm.

I like the idea of revisiting a classic LP when it is done intelligently with people who were directly involved in the process.

Anyway, would you agree that Chopin devastates the heart?

B
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement