No. of Recommendations: 0
<You could become a cop, at least in NJ. ;)

We don't have to pay into SS, tho' we are still required to pay into Medicare.

I can't tell you what it means to my own financial health not to have to have all that money sucked into that legalized Ponzi scheme.

We can't collect SS, of course, unless we've "contributed" (almost makes it sound like u have a choice, doesn't it?) through some other employment. But not having that sizeable chunk of money wasted on an "investment" with virtually no returns means that I'm able to really plan for my retirement.

I really sympathize with those who are still being defrauded by their own government.>

I do not believe Social Security to be a fraud, in the sense that deception is used. It is perfectly clear how the social security system is run (and much better than many government agencies).

It may well be true that you can make your investments in a more profitable way than the Social Security system can. But you just might be unfortunate in your investments and end up with nothing, or less than Social Security would provide. Then you would be really stuck.

One return, that IMO has some value, is the GUARANTEED payments, something like an annuity, that you get from Social Security that you get from no other. Even if your stock market account goes to zero value, even if the insurance company that wrote your annuity went bankrupt, you would still get your social security. The underperformance, by most standards, of the Social Security system is the price paid for the certainty of payment: something that no other investment provides.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement