Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

<Your employer should report $1,000 of compensation income, and you pay tax on that amount. In
addition, the broker sends you a 1099-B showing you sold stock for $3,000. On Schedule D you
report that you received $3,000 proceeds from the sale of stock. And you show your basis in the
stock as $3,000 (the $2,000 you paid plus the $1,000 that was taxed as compensation). >

This gets me much closer to determining what I need to do about my ESPP plan sale (see thread "espp - qualifing disposition - TTax), however in the espp plan, I am the one that needs to report the compensation, my employer does not. Any idea where I would report this?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.