UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: LateSaver One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Lump Sum to invest Date: 7/1/1998 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I just received an inheritance mostly in stock. I want to keep most of it invested in the stock market for me and my wifes retirement. We are 44(me) and 48(her). We have about 100K between us in IRA's, Annuities, 403B's, etc. (403B's and now our Roths are always maxed out). The Inheritance is in the following stocks.

Bristol Myers
Central & S.W.
Emerson Elec.
Exxon Corp.
First Tenn.
Genuine Parts
Hubble Inc.
IBM
Johnson & Johnson
Minnesota Mng.
Mobil Corp.
Nationsbank
Penn. Real Estate
Pepsico
Royal Dutch P.

For a total value of about 125 thousand dollars.

If I sell the stock, about 40% of its value is taxable as long term capital gains (That's 20% Fed\ral and 9% State). (This money has been in a trust that files its own tax return each year...thus whenever a stock is traded the trust pays the capital gains tax...that is why I cannot get the stock with a cost value at the time of death of my mother but rather the cost value is from the last trade of each stock) I was thinking of selling the stock, paying the tax and using the balance to invest in the UV4+. My ROTH Coversions and Roth accounts are all invested in the same. Any ideas for other avenues of investing for the long term. Some of the stocks I am getting look pretty good. I do not want to invest in a plan that takes much of my time. And I plan on leaving this money in the stock market for at least 15 + years. I like the Foolish four investment plan for its simplicity and annual restructuring. (in this case I would be restructuring every 18 months to lower my tax bill). Please post your suggestions and thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement