Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Lumpy,

You said if I needed any tips I could ask you...so here's one...

How long does it take to quit munching on food after you quit smoking?

I feel like I gave up one addiction for another!!! With smoking if I got the munchies, I went and smoked a cigarette. Now I munch. I've gained 20 lbs. in 5 months!!

Maybe I should have joined a diet board instead of this quit smoking board!!!??? This is one of the factors which aided in me going back to smoking again. I don't want to do that this time, and don't think I will...but how long does the munching thing last?

Cookie

Five months, two weeks, five days, 9 hours, 28 minutes and 47 seconds. 3407 cigarettes not smoked, saving $545.40. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Cookie
I guess the munching is pretty much an individual thing. Our metabolism changes when we stop smoking so we can't eat as much without gaining weight. Munching will agravate this situation.

I started to munch when I quit but stopped because I couldn't get into my pants anymore. Everything was too tight.

I've stabilized now and am trying to move in the other direction. If I do munch, I try to munch on fruits and stuff which won't change my weight.

I did get a physical three weeks ago. The doctor ordered some blood tests and I didn't like the results. My triglycerides were too high, which means either I'm drinking too much ( I don't hardly drink) or I'm eating too many sweets. That got me to stop in a hurry.

Now I'm trying to use Rebecca's method of no sugar. I take on whatever sugar is in what I eat but I don't add sugar. I'm not a purist or nuts about how I approach this but I just try to stay away from sugar.

It's working too.

But getting back to your problem, you'll have to make up your mind not to munch. It'll be easier to give up than the cigs but it's still something that you can do yourself. You've already demonstrated that you're strong, so show us again.

Also, look at the message board "Fools Fighting Fat" for support on stopping the munching.

No matter what you do, do not go back to smoking to stop munching. It's moving backwards. You've fought the biggest dragon, and now you have to slay a smaller dragon. You already know how so just do it again.

Good luck.

Mike
Hi Cookie--

Since you asked 'how long does it take to quit munching on food after you quit smoking' I just felt compelled to answer. I have been an infrequent poster the last few months but since I have been 'thru this' here is my take on my gallup thru munchie-land.

At the time of my quit, I was in a moderately stressful job. The little store in the lobby of our highrise sold candy, gum, snacks, and all at high prices. I paid them.

Five months later, after a trip to the dentist and one crown, I switched to sugarless. I also switched to a new job...a new job where there was always lots of food. Consequently, I chewed less gum.

Six months later, I realized that I wasn't buying gum much and also I wasn't eating as much junk at work, save the occasional birthday party.

All in all it took me about a year to reach some sort of equilibrium on the snacking. I think that if I would have paid more attention to eating REGULAR meals on a routine basis I would have gained LESS.

I bless my lucky stars everyday that I finally quit smoking. I also just quit my last job and am going back to school in two weeks.

Margaret
One year, two months, four days, 7 hours, 25 minutes and 9 seconds.
12879 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,904.28.
Life saved: 6 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes.

Cookie,

You asked the right person about diet... I'm sue she'll be along shortly. I'm just here with some miscellanious ramblings.

Kathy (dicksie) once posted a link that said that most people could gain 100 pounds and be healthier than if they continued smoking.

Weight gain is the number one reason women go back to smoking.

Smoking one oack of cigarettes a day BURNS about 300 calories. When you quit, you need to do something about that... exercise will help keep the weight gain to a minimum (or maybe none at all) and will keep you motivated for your quit.

Keep healthy foods handy. Carrot and celery sticks, an aspple, grapes... You can pretty much eat your fill of these types of things, even mnch mindlessly all day, without the side effects of.... say.... a bag of oreos, a half gallon of ice cream, unlimitrd chocolate covered pretzels (there'd one I know well). :)

Don't go back to smoking due to the weight gain. It's just not worth it.

Rebecca
Margaret! So good to see you post and to catch up on what's happening in your life. We really miss you around here and hope you drop by more often.

Helen

One year, seven months, one week, 9 hours, 57 minutes and 47 seconds. 23416 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3,512.74. Life saved: 11 weeks, 4 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes.
"I feel like I gave up one addiction for another!!! "

Cookie,

I am not a person who has ever had to worry about my weight (5' 8" -- 135lbs), but I do know what you mean about the munchies. I have taken to munching continously. After one month, I am now the heaviest I have ever been - 152lbs!

My solution? Grapes! They are amazing. They take care of the need to have something in your mouth to replace the butts as well as keeping your fingers busy. Best of all...they are good for you ! I have removed all of the candy from my desk and expect to find my pants fit again very soon.

Hope this helps.

Chris

One month, four days, 20 hours, 14 minutes and 57 seconds. 985 cigarettes not smoked, saving $193.12. Life saved: 3 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes.
Mike,

Thanks for the eating tips and also for the "Fools Fighting Fat" tip...I didn't realize they had one of those in the Fools Boards (I thought you had to go to one like - eDiets and pay money for it). I'll definately check out the Fools Fighting Fat.

You're right about the dragon too, I guess I just need to get tough again...

Thanks, Cookie

p.s. Hope your triglycerides come back down too!
Cookie~

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but there have been very good suggestions about the munchies. The only thing I could add is that YOU will decide when you don't need or want to munch anymore. Getting some sort of energy going is good, taking a walk or riding a bike. Anything physical will keep you from munching and you might start to lose those extra pounds. Shelley rewarded herself when she quit by eating oreo cookies! I'd rather have an oreo than a Marlboro, but I do a dozen push-ups when an urge for either pops up!

Lumpy

Ten months, six days, 22 hours, 50 minutes and 26 seconds. 6219 cigarettes not smoked, saving $777.48. Life saved: 3 weeks, 14 hours, 15 minutes.
Rebecca,

Thanks for the facts. I can relate to 2nd one, but hopefully this time it'll be different. Guess I never thought in the past I was strong enough to quit smoking AND snacking too. I don't snack when I smoke, only when I quit (so it's a double effort).

That's interesting smokers burn 300 calories a day. I did join a health club this year and have been successful at going in the last 2 months, but unfortunately it takes longer to come OFF then it does to put it ON. Patience is NOT a good virtue of mine.

Thanks for the diet tips too!

Cookie
Chris,

Thanks for the grapes idea. I'll try 'em. Again, it's nice to know others can relate to what you're going thru. Good luck to you as well with it!

By the way, congrats on the pressure of going out with the guys and being able to obstain. You're stronger at one month than I ever was.

Cookie
Lumpy,

Thanks for the additional ideas...food for thought. You are right in that it will be up to me, but when my children eat earlier than my hubby or I do its difficult. That's my biggest snacking time problem. Guess I need to zero in on that, because that's where the real problem is.

If you have as many urges for snacking as I do, and you really do - do the pushups, you must be in terrific shape!!! I need to follow in your footsteps!

Cookie

Five months, two weeks, six days, 10 hours, 29 minutes and 45 seconds. 3428 cigarettes not smoked, saving $548.73. Life saved: 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes.
Margaret,

Thanks for your reply. Another person who can relate! I have to say that I've not had the dentist experience yet though - nor want too! I'm glad you were able to get it under control. Your success story helps give me encouragement that I too can conquer not smoking and not snacking and come out a winner. Thanks for sharing.

Cookie

p.s. That's wonderful that you can go back to school!!
Lumpy

And Shelley gained 20 pounds and they are still on her. I guess if you can increase your exercise level substantially you won't get into the rut I did. Unfortunately, because of osteoarthritis, I haven't been able to increase exercising and so the pounds are here to stay.

Shelley
Two years, five months, two weeks, one day, 1 hour, 39 minutes and 1 second. 17941 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,691.33. Life saved: 8 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 5 minutes.

P.S. -- I haven't had an Oreo in over 2 hears but they are still sitting on my hips and tummy.

"
Thanks cookiecongrats on the pressure of going out with the guys and being able to obstain"

Thanks Cookie,

I should have given my friends and co-workers a little more credit for this in my post.

When I quit, part of my strategy was to make sure everybody I spent any time with knew about it. I have been amazed by how supportive and understanding people are. Almost all smokers will move away to smoke and people who have never smoked come by my office frequently just to provide encouragement. My Wednesday night group know that if the urges get bad I will simply leave. They even agreed that I won't have to forfeit my pool game if that happens!

So many people helping me will make it very embarassing if I ever go back! A negative sort of incentive, but I'll use whatever works!

Chris

One month, five days, 8 hours, 58 minutes and 29 seconds. 1001 cigarettes not smoked, saving $196.24. Life saved: 3 days, 11 hours, 25 minutes.
Chris,

I did a very similar thing. For the first 2 weeks of my quit, I told noone, since I was sure I would fail(this was before this board and it's support system). After 2 weeks, I figured I could do it if I put extra pressure on; so I told everyone I knew or ever knew. Now it was a case of not disappointing myself and not running the wrath of all my friends and relatives. I was the only smoker left in both groups and so you can imagine all the years of nagging I had suffered through. Of course, the advantage was, I was never in close contact with smokers so I never had to deal with that problem.

I just returned from Israel- a 12 hour flight (+or-) and I kept thinking how much more terrible that trip was when I was a smoker and not allowed to smoke on the flight. Just another perk of being smober.

Shelley
Two years, five months, two weeks, one day, 4 hours, 32 minutes and 8 seconds. 17943 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,691.69. Life saved: 8 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 15 minutes.

So many people helping me will make it very embarassing if I ever go back! A negative sort of incentive, but I'll use whatever works!
------

Chris,

Boy, do I know how you feel! This was actually a HUGE part of my success. Once I posted here that I was going to quit (and being the firt to do so, I got some great emails from TOM GARDNER himself offering encouragement and support) I didn't have the heart to come back and say I didn't do it.

And you'll see that I have really taken this concept to the extreme with all that I try to do to help others. I'd die before I came here or sent out a newsletter that said that I smoked. So, I REALLY can't smoke. :)

It works! Use it!

Rebecca
Hi Cookie,

Thanks for the wonderful words. I told myself when I was quitting that it would be OK to gain some weight. I at least gave myself permission to do that. Of course, it is quite a bit harder to LOSE than I thought. This old bod is quite past the days of "I just won't eat for a week and I will lose 10-12 pounds" like I could have [and did] 20 years ago. GASP!

In hindsight, I would say:

1. Eat regular meals. If you can't handle 3 a day, have 5 or 6 mini-meals. I had to force myself to eat breakfast in the morning. The instant oatmeal packages really came in handy at work.

2. Now is the time to get out of the 'same old thing' food rut. Get adventurous with the spices and try some new foods. Kind of goes with #1. I found that I liked yellow squash and zucchini cut in slices with a crinkle cutter. Great with ranch dressing and was less expensive than buying at the deli. Frozen fruit like blueberry and raspberry is good, too. I would eat them frozen--one at a time. Well, it WAS a deterrent.

I knew that my smoking was a hand-to-mouth/oral thing so it took me quite a while to get over that habit. Also, being one who never really ate real meals until after coming home from work, I had to re-learn menu planning. It was just so much easier to smoke than eat. When confronted with the choice--smoking always won.

Margaret
One year, two months, one week, 6 hours, 31 minutes and 35 seconds.
12968 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,924.32.
Life saved: 6 weeks, 3 days, 40 minutes.
Margaret,

Thanks for the additional input. I was like you, it was ok with me to put on some additional weight in order to become a non-smoker (and still is!!) But you're right, it isn't as easy to lose it now as it was when I was younger - I'm 38.

After posting to the board this past week, I've been doing some soul searching so-to-speak. For 20 years I've fluctuated between smoking, quitting, gaining weight, smoking again. Giving up one addiction for another. (I probably averaged one quit per year). I always thought it was healthier to be a thin smoker than a not-so thin non-smoker. DUMB! Fortunately, I've woken up and see what wrong thinking that is.

I've been thinking about the help I received this week from the board, and yesterday went to the store and loaded up with lots of fruits and vegetables. So yesterday's snacks were healthy. Also, my little 2 year old wanted fruit too!! Now if I could just get my 3 year old to want the same...we'd REALLY be making miracles in our house!!

Thanks again for responding and for the additional tips you've given me, and for relating to my problem. It's such a BIG help. Your eating frozen fruit one-at-a-time was kinda funny though! My goal this week is to eat healthier and make it to the gym 3-4 times.

Keep up your good work over there too!!

Cookie

Five months, three weeks, two days, 2 hours, 36 minutes and 39 seconds. 3482 cigarettes not smoked, saving $557.28. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes.

No. of Recommendations: 3
Cookie, before I quit smoking I had consistently been in the 180-190lb. range at 6'1". I had never paid any attention to my diet at all (ate what I wanted when I wanted it). That did set me up for some problems when I quit. At the time, I was only concerned about quitting and figured that, if it took sticking anything and everything into my mouth that was not a cigarette, then so be it. When I realised in January that I was feeling very comfortable as a non-smoker and starting to have trouble tying my shoes, I decided that it was time to join a gym. At age 51, my greatly slowed metabolism and uncontrolled appetite caught up to me and I found that I tipped the scale at 225. Since the last week in Jan. I have lost 4lbs and made major improvements in my cardio fitness as well as my strength. My first goal was fitness, my second was to lose some weight in the process. Since I have noticeably gained muscle which weighs more than fat, the 4lbs that I have lost is a marked improvement. Yes, it is taking a big effort to deal with that weight gain but I feel so much better now that I am both working out regularly and not smoking. If I had started working out last year I might not have gained so much weight but that really is unimportant. The important thing was succeeding at quitting smoking. Like you, I am trying to improve my eating habits. Losing weight is a long term proposition, but I find it more important and more encouraging in conjunction with my workouts to track my fitness levels and body measurements than weight. As an example, when I started using the Lifecycle at the end of Jan., keeping my heartrate at 145 for 20 minutes, the machine said that I used about 150 calories. Today, after 20 minutes with my heartrate at 145, I burned 208 calories. That type of measurement does not fluctuate much from day to day so it is easy to see improvement. Weight can fluctuate radically from day to day depending on our hydration level and if you are working out a scale does not take into account that muscle is so much more dense than fat. From the time that I decided to quit, I have actively sought to keep a positive attitude about quitting even through troubled times. I look at my weight gain not as my being a glutton but as a side effect of my taking such a positive healthy step in my life by quitting smoking. It is a side effect that might take time and effort to overcome but I see it as being much less traumatic than what I went through in successfully quitting smoking.

Elliott

One year, one month, three weeks, 19 hours, 4 minutes and 9 seconds. 18710 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,338.84. Life saved: 9 weeks, 1 day, 23 hours, 10 minutes.
I heard that if you drink 8 glasses of refrigerated water a day you will lose l80 calories just by your body having to spend calories warming up the water for your body. It's worth a shot and painless.

Shelley
+=Two years, five months, two weeks, three days, 12 hours, 59 minutes and 50 seconds. 17990 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,698.75. Life saved: 8 weeks, 6 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes.
I look at my weight gain not as my being a glutton but as a side effect of my taking such a positive healthy step in my life by quitting smoking. It is a side effect that might take time and effort to overcome but I see it as being much less traumatic than what I went through in successfully quitting smoking.
-----------

Elliott,

What a nice way of looking at things. I'm not feeling it. I'll try to come back to it another day. :)

Of course, not all of the weight I have gained in the last year is quitting related. Actually, I gained 15 pounds in 3 months and lot those pounds in the next 3, so the weight I have gained is due to other things. It's even more difficult to have a positive attitude about it. Of course, the positive attitude is the best way to overcome it.

You're awesome.

Rebecca
I heard that if you drink 8 glasses of refrigerated water a day you will lose l80 calories just by your body having to spend calories warming up the water for your body. It's worth a shot and painless.
---------

I like it!!!

Actually, just getting in the habit of drinking those 8 glasses (or more) is one of the best steps to take when trying to lose weight. 0 Calories, and a lot of times we eat when we are thirsty. How silly is that!

Rebecca
Actually, just getting in the habit of drinking those 8 glasses (or more) is one of the best steps to take when trying to lose weight. 0 Calories, and a lot of times we eat when we are thirsty. How silly is that!

Rebecca

Hey, we smoked. How silly was that!

Actually, that has helped me too. I have almost completely phased out soda and am drinking water & fruit juice instead. I used to be good for about a 2-liter of Coke a day.

Elliott

One year, one month, three weeks, 22 hours, 23 minutes and 51 seconds. 18716 cigarettes not smoked, saving $2,339.62. Life saved: 9 weeks, 1 day, 23 hours, 40 minutes.
I'm so happy to hear that many of you kicked Ms. Nico to the curb and now you are going even further into a healthy lifestyle. Not to say we need to become fanatic, well, some of us, but if we rid ourselves of that nasty tobacco , why not put something good into our bodies. I hope you all will be fit and feisty for my 1 year pose-down. Look out, Arnold!

Lumpy

Ten months, one week, two days, 22 hours, 49 minutes and 5 seconds. 6279 cigarettes not smoked, saving $784.98. Life saved: 3 weeks, 19 hours, 15 minutes.
Elliot,

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story. I loved it!! Had to giggle about the shoe lace thing tho :-)
You gave me a GREAT idea about measuring my weight loss (to come) vs. the scale. I know from past working out (before having babies) that muscle weighs more than fat, so it makes sense to me that you care more about the measurements than what the scale says. Thank you for reminding me about that. Every other day or so, I get on the scale to see if I've lost or not. Now I will get out my tape measure tonight and measure and from now on check there first.

"From the time that I decided to quit, I have actively sought to keep a positive attitude about quitting even through troubled times. I look at my weight gain not as my being a glutton but as a side effect of my taking such a positive healthy step in my life by quitting smoking."

That's a wonderful Quote. Very upbeat & inspiring. Thank you so much for your ideas Elliott. I will now go and measure...(or did you mean for me to get measured AT THE CLUB!!! oh No!!!) LOL :-)

Cookie

Five months, three weeks, two days, 10 hours, 11 minutes and 3 seconds. 3488 cigarettes not smoked, saving $558.29. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes.
Shelly,

LOL!!! Make me COLD just thinking about it :-) I'll be doing good just to drink the 8 glasses of regular water!! Thanks for the idea!!

Cookie
"of course, not all of the weight I have gained in the last year is quitting related."

Rebecca,

I can relate to that. As you can see from one of my recent posts, I've had 2 children in the last 3 years...ok, TOTAL confession time now...so I have some more additional weight from them as well. It's not just the weight from quitting smoking. I am 6'2 and NEVER had to worry about weight before having kids and quitting smoking. So the weight gain is from both and I feel like it's a double whammy.

"What a nice way of looking at things. I'm not feeling it. I'll try to come back to it another day. :)"

I can relate to that one too!! However, with the help of the board this WHOLE week, I am inspired, ready to quit asking questions here and put my answers from you all (thank you again very much!!!!) to good use!

Cookie

Advertisement