Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55906  
Subject: Lunch Today Date: 11/11/2012 7:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
A Porterhouse Steak, baked Potato and Portabella Mushroom, topped with some butter, minced fresh garlic, diced red onion and Feta cheese grilled on one of my newer Weber grills with a Craycort cast iron cooking grate and charcoal grate section off 1/3 of the way in with a Weber Charcoal Rail: http://s229.beta.photobucket.com/user/NoIDAtAll/media/IMAG00...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54722 of 55906
Subject: Re: Lunch Today Date: 11/11/2012 9:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Burmese chicken and opo squash (like zucchini, but less watery - also known as "bottle gourd") stew over rice. Not as good as I had expected it to be, but tasty enough. It was a new recipe. I don't know if I will make it again.

Dinner was awesome: Cuban black beans over yellow rice, and sauteed zucchini and yellow pepper with fresh basil.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54723 of 55906
Subject: Re: Lunch Today Date: 11/12/2012 2:48 AM
Recommendations: 0
over yellow rice

How did you make the yellow rice? I've read recipes for it using either saffron or turmeric. Saffron tends to be pretty expensive, at least here.

Thanks,
Bob

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54724 of 55906
Subject: Re: Lunch Today Date: 11/12/2012 9:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
How did you make the yellow rice?

The Cuban/Hispanic recipes use turmeric not saffron (See; http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/yellow-ric... ), Bob, although the dry turmeric has almost no taste compared to the fresh stuff.
;-)

C.J.V. - got a biig pot of turmeric growing by da pool, me

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54725 of 55906
Subject: Re: Lunch Today Date: 11/12/2012 9:57 AM
Recommendations: 1
The real Cuban yellow rice is made with annato seeds I think. Spanish paella is made with saffron. I did a cheat and made it Indian style with turmeric (and shallots and peas). Turmeric isn't very authentically Caribbean, but it was tasty!

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54726 of 55906
Subject: Re: Lunch Today Date: 11/12/2012 9:59 AM
Dry and fresh turmeric aren't used interchangeably. And non-stale turmeric does have flavor, but it's a musty pungent one so needs a light hand.

I use fresh turmeric in some of my Thai curries and Burmese curries. I use dry turmeric in almost all my Indian recipes. Indian cooking doesn't use fresh turmeric much. In India fresh turmeric is used as a home remedy antiseptic.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement