UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: erierambler Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5791  
Subject: Lung Cancer Date: 1/1/2010 9:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello everyone,

i've been treated for lung cancer since 08, and my primary cancer is under control, but the secondary ( lymph nodes ) have been giving me trouble . After 3 treatments with one drug that did not work my chemo was changed and it worked quite well so far . Now they are talking ( letting me know ) some of what is in store for the future and have said I would be eventually going on maintainance since they can't get all the cancer ( non-small cell ). Does anyone here know what maintainance is? ( and what it entails ) So far it seems they want to keep hitting the cancer with the same drug until it no longer works. Does this mean i continue to go in and get treated or would i get some sort of pill?

Any knowledge would be appreciated......looking for others' viewpoints

erie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5783 of 5791
Subject: Re: Lung Cancer Date: 1/1/2010 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"Maintenance" therapy means providing some sort of treatment that keeps your type of cancer cells from returning, or from increasing, and it's at a much lower dose and less frequent than acute therapy. Here's a definition from the NIH patient education website:

maintenance therapy (MAYN-teh-nunts THAYR-uh-pee)

Treatment that is given to help keep cancer from coming back after it has disappeared following the initial therapy. It may include treatment with drugs, vaccines, or antibodies that kill cancer cells, and it may be given for a long time.
http://www.cancer.gov/dictionary/?CdrID=45768

I also found a link to information, posted just this past July, that specifically addresses maintenance therapy with lung cancer. It's a blog about lung cancer by a physician. Hopefully it will answer the kinds of questions you have, and perhaps give you some points that you will want to clarify with your doctors.
http://lungcancer.about.com/b/2009/07/07/maintenance-therapy...

Good luck!!

sheila

Author: erierambler Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5785 of 5791
Subject: Re: Lung Cancer Date: 1/1/2010 6:48 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks sheila, that was exactly what I was looking for. I am on Alimta right now.

erie

Author: erierambler Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5787 of 5791
Subject: Re: Lung Cancer Date: 4/3/2010 5:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
Just an update, I've had 7 treatments now with Alimta and my recent catscan results have shown that of 4 issues that I had, 4 issues have been resolved. Now for some more treatments and another catscan looking for stabilization. :)
this is good.........

erie

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5788 of 5791
Subject: Re: Lung Cancer Date: 4/3/2010 6:19 PM
Recommendations: 1
this is good.........

You betcha! That's such welcome news!!!

sheila

Author: erierambler Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5789 of 5791
Subject: Re: Lung Cancer Date: 11/11/2010 1:42 PM
Just an update,

Another one so some will have hope, I've now had 14 treatments this time around and the last catscan shows no activity again. I'm back to work part-time ( productive again ) and getting stronger. Catscans are not in future only chest x-rays and bloodwork. What a nice Christmas this will be for my family as well......

erie ( who knows i'm not out of the woods yet )

P.S. Doctor say's i'm a poster boy for Eli-Lilly

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5790 of 5791
Subject: Re: Lung Cancer Date: 11/12/2010 2:56 PM
What a nice Christmas this will be for my family as well......

That is superb news! For all of you.

sheila

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement