Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2346  
Subject: Re: 10 Most Innovative Food Cos. Date: 3/16/2011 1:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Madecasse. Love what has been done there. I have them bookmarked so I can buy their chocolate.

http://store.madecasse.com/

I have always hoped there would be the way for people to work the soil and work their way out of poverty. To do that reasonably they need to benefit from the bounty of retail prices. Over the years (I'm over 60) I cannot remember any group getting control of their industry from field to retail. Can anyone name one?

I have a friend that is selling Kona-grown coffee. He gets around local buyers standing between him and the retail customer by using only the Web for sales. So far no retail outlet is interested in his brand -- even in Hawaii! But, he was not in poverty before doing his field-to-retail project. In fact, he was retired, with enough money to "test the market" to see if custom roasted coffee would sell. It does. It just isn't very profitable!

The cocoa crop in West Africa, the biggest in the world, is in terrible shape. Cocoa prices are high. World prices went from a low of $2.600 in September to a recent high of almost $3,800.

http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=CC

Madecasse is using the Web to get its message out and get retail prices for its farmers. It appears to be working and firm world prices should be enough to support their current growth.

I love stories like this!

W.D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement