No. of Recommendations: 0
Maggie,

I would say you have absolutly nothing to lose by attending an Al-ANON meeting to broaden your knowledge. You are a really good friend to this person and she is so lucky to have you.
Help is a wonderful thing however she won't accept it until she has fallen hard and far enough. Maybe you can ask her to come along with you, I don't know.
Alcholics when not ready to quit are in a very deep denial. They know they have a problem but unfortunatly can't take the 1st step of sobriety until it is almost too late.
Some lose all their family, some lose all their money and most lose there place and direction before they stop. It is a very complex world they live in and can become defensive and irrational and it isn't you that angers them, it is themselves.

Follow your heart tomorrow Maggie, listen to what it is telling you.
Go for the visit and have a nice Iced tea and play it by ear. This visit may not need too many words but if a follow up visit is offered you may be able to express your concerns with the drinking and tell her it makes you uncomfortable. You should not have to tip-toe around.
Offer your help as a friend and if it's rejected, the offer will still stick in her mind and maybe learn a little more about what the booze is doing as far as maybe losing a friend.

I am sure it will work out. Go have a friendly visit and don't make any plans for conversation, just use your judgement and let things flow.

Good luck
God Bless
Kerri
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement