UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bakra Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75873  
Subject: maintaining Roth IRA from abroad Date: 10/27/1999 9:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I am an international student in the US and am
thinking of starting a Roth IRA and investing in
stocks and mutual funds.

1. Can I continue to maintain these (e.g., yearly
deposit in Roth IRA) once I leave the US?
2. What would be the tax issues for Roth IRA and
other investments once I leave the US?

Thanks,

Baks.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14959 of 75873
Subject: Re: maintaining Roth IRA from abroad Date: 10/30/1999 5:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Baks, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I am an international student in the US and am
thinking of starting a Roth IRA and investing in
stocks and mutual funds.

1. Can I continue to maintain these (e.g., yearly
deposit in Roth IRA) once I leave the US?
2. What would be the tax issues for Roth IRA and
other investments once I leave the US?>>

If you have earned income while in the US, then you may make contributions to a traditional or a Roth IRA. Those accounts may continue in existence after you depart the country, but unless you have further US earnings you may not make further contributions. On withdrawal of any monies from your IRA(s), you would be subject to taxation by the US just as any other citizen. International tax agreements govern how your country of residence would tax the proceeds, if at all. You might want to pose a question regarding that on the Tax Strategies board where the tax gurus hang out.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement