UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: blackie One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10363  
Subject: Make Backups! Date: 5/5/2000 1:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I have been using Quicken since 1994, so my qfiles are quite large. Since I have been tracking finances for so long this data is irreplaceable and would be very tragic if lost, so this is what I do. I make a backup of my data to a CDR after every time I use Quicken. I alternate between 2 different CD's with each backup. I then take the CD with the most recent backup to work and lock it in my locker. That way I have a copy of my most recent back up in an "off site" location. When I make a new backup I then take that CD to work and swap it out with the previous one and take it home to use for the next backup. That way I have copies of every backup I have ever done. Believe me, I have had things go wrong and have acutally had to use these backups to restore my data. It is the best insurance.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: makfan Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 208 of 10363
Subject: Re: Make Backups! Date: 5/5/2000 4:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Making backups and keeping one off-site is really important. I have a portable and a desktop and I make an easily-accessible backup by copying the data between the two systems (I use a Mac synchronization program to do this so I don't screw up and go the wrong direction!). Then I keep a backup off-site for disaster recovery.

Mike

Author: Druscilla One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 210 of 10363
Subject: Re: Make Backups! Date: 5/5/2000 4:47 PM
Another suggestion is to make multiple backups. This is especially important if you backup to diskettes and overwrite the same disk(s) with each backup. You never know when your ONLY backup may be corrupt.

My hubby and I learned the hard way several years ago. Our backup spans multiple diskettes. Once when trying to restore, one of the diskettes got a read error. Now what?!? Luckily, we had a Que manual for Quicken that told us about an automatic copy Quicken makes, where to find it and how to restore from it. Whew!

Call us paranoid, but we now make four backups! One to the hard drive (great for quick restores), and three copies to diskette (one to keep at the desk, one in the fireproof safe, and one off-site). Better safe than sorry.

Dru

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 211 of 10363
Subject: Re: Make Backups! Date: 5/9/2000 6:58 AM
I have copies of every backup I have ever done. Believe me, I have had things go wrong and have acutally had to use these backups to restore my data. It is the best insurance.

That may be the best insurance, but it is not enough. I do backups to magnetic tape. I had a couple of years of backups. I do a backup every day that I use my machine with Windows on it.

Here is why it is not enough: I went to import my Quicken data into TurboTax. It went through the motions, but acted as though very few of my transactions were tax-related. Careful study revealed that most of my transactions were in the wrong categories (off by 1 as far as internal code was concerned). If I looked at the categories on the screen, or printed on paper, they were OK. I called Intuit and we spent over an hour trying various things. They then said I should restore the database from backup. I said which one, and they said one about a year ago. I said: how about all the transactions made in the last year. They said to restore them manually. It is a good thing for them that they were on the telephone because I would have punched someone in the stomach. It took about 6 weeks to manually enter all that stuff again. Luckily, the transactions printed out OK. If I saved them to a file, they were wrong.

I get more and more disgusted with Intuit as time goes on. I wish there were a viable alternative.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement