Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Make sure you are using a CA form 540NR - not the regular form 540. You use the same form for either part-year residence or non-residence.

That's what TurboTax said, too. ;)

You will find that is uses Ira's method (2). You report all of your income from every state, then take a percentage based on how much income is taxable to CA.

So with this method, my ratio is 20K in CA over 24K total. And with the credit for AZ tax, I'm due a return of all CA tax. Nice.

Ira was right, this wasn't that bad. I was just the mixed state taxes on my W-2s that was throwing me.

Thanks to you both,

(I knew there was a reason I'm willing to pay for these boards.)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.