Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: knyc Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 313  
Subject: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/20/2012 8:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is a big step forward for the industry. I don't think any other 3D printing retail locations from of any of the 3D players exist in NY City (correct me if I'm wrong), and this neighborhood gets a ton of foot traffic.

Coverage of the new retail store:
gigaom.com/2012/09/19/makerbot-unveils-next-gen-3d-printer-o...

Retail Store Web Page:
http://www.makerbot.com/retail-store/
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lukascranac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67 of 313
Subject: Re: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/21/2012 4:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I keep looking for sales numbers on makerbot machines. The latest number I saw was 5600 in February I think. Not a particularly large number. Some analysts were predicting 10000 sold in 2012. I would think that 3d printing industry needs to see numbers in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Author: knyc Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68 of 313
Subject: Re: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/21/2012 9:03 AM
Yes, eventually it will need to get to those numbers, but the vast majority of people haven't even heard of 3D printing, and this should at least get the concept on a lot of people's radar. You won't have mass adoption unless you have mass awareness. I will have to check it out to see what kind of crowd they are getting.

Author: colleran Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69 of 313
Subject: Re: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/22/2012 5:52 PM
The market for home 3D Printers has been the Maker community. Most home 3D Printers need a lot of fiddling to get the prints to come out correctly. The other announcement from Makerbot was the Replicator 2

http://www.makerbot.com/

According to the video of Bre Pettis introducing the product, they are focusing on an audience beyond makers. The 3D Systems Cube is also designed for this audience. I have been looking for reviews of the Cube, but haven't found anything yet. While I am very interested in getting a 3D printer, I hesitate to proceed because I don't want to spend my time learning the bits and bytes of the printer. Also, the open-source software needed like Pronterface is not without issues.

I am going to wait until there are some reviews of these products that give me some confidence that I can spend my time actually printing things.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement