Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: knyc Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Olympia3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 360  
Subject: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/20/2012 8:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is a big step forward for the industry. I don't think any other 3D printing retail locations from of any of the 3D players exist in NY City (correct me if I'm wrong), and this neighborhood gets a ton of foot traffic.

Coverage of the new retail store:
gigaom.com/2012/09/19/makerbot-unveils-next-gen-3d-printer-o...

Retail Store Web Page:
http://www.makerbot.com/retail-store/
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lukascranac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67 of 360
Subject: Re: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/21/2012 4:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I keep looking for sales numbers on makerbot machines. The latest number I saw was 5600 in February I think. Not a particularly large number. Some analysts were predicting 10000 sold in 2012. I would think that 3d printing industry needs to see numbers in the hundreds of thousands per year.

Author: knyc Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Olympia3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68 of 360
Subject: Re: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/21/2012 9:03 AM
Yes, eventually it will need to get to those numbers, but the vast majority of people haven't even heard of 3D printing, and this should at least get the concept on a lot of people's radar. You won't have mass adoption unless you have mass awareness. I will have to check it out to see what kind of crowd they are getting.

Author: colleran Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69 of 360
Subject: Re: Makerbot opens a retail location Date: 9/22/2012 5:52 PM
The market for home 3D Printers has been the Maker community. Most home 3D Printers need a lot of fiddling to get the prints to come out correctly. The other announcement from Makerbot was the Replicator 2

http://www.makerbot.com/

According to the video of Bre Pettis introducing the product, they are focusing on an audience beyond makers. The 3D Systems Cube is also designed for this audience. I have been looking for reviews of the Cube, but haven't found anything yet. While I am very interested in getting a 3D printer, I hesitate to proceed because I don't want to spend my time learning the bits and bytes of the printer. Also, the open-source software needed like Pronterface is not without issues.

I am going to wait until there are some reviews of these products that give me some confidence that I can spend my time actually printing things.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement