UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Re: January ThyPeace Update Date: 1/9/2013 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
MakingTrax,

You wrote, You might consider moveable shelving/rack untis for that rear area (think along the lines of rolling shelves seen in law offices...they can either slide on a track or swing out on a hinge), especially if the width of that portion is too small to allow for clothes rods on each of the parallel walls (and still have space to walk in between. Also, putting cubby cubes along all walls up high at ceiling level will keep the floor space open and add lots of useful storage space.

I hadn't thought about making the shelving movable. I've also been in a few law offices and don't recall seeing anything like you describe; but then (with one exception) I don't know that I would have been shown where they store files and records. I'll have to look into that.

BTW, one thing that might complicate the design is that attic access is through that closet. Let me place that on my drawing:

/---|  |-+
/ |
| |
| ++ +---+
| ++ |
| |
+-----+

That could limit my ability to place some fixed storage since I have to be able to access the attic. However if storage were movable, that might solve the problem.

One complication though: When I replaced the carpet, I had them remove it throughout the house. The closets have bamboo floors. If I install a movable system, it may need to be something that won't score the floors ... else I'll need to place a piece of track or carpet on the floor just to accommodate it. (I do have some scrap/spare carpet in the garage; I but would have to nail down a carpet tack strip and a transition in that back corner to accommodate it.)

As for Ikea, aj485 and I have looked on their online catalog and could not find anything useful. However, we've not gone into a store. And yes, there is an Ikea in the Seattle area. It's in Renton, not far from the SeaTac airport. I've never been to it; but I know about where it's located and it's probably 20 minutes from the house.

As for clothes rods...? As I'd said before, clothes rods and shelves are pretty easy (other than deciding where they should go). Even without a track system, I could put up a clothes rod and shelf along any wall. That's fairly simple to do with cheap, off-the-shelf items from Home Depot.

Along the far back wall (bottom of drawing), you can simply put in a wide ledger board around the perimeter where you want to have the shelf. The shelf could just float on the ledger and the ledger would give you a spot to screw in dowel supports. The dowel could either be cut from wood or more likely be cut from pipe using a standard pipe cutter. (They sell sections of pipe with various finishes for this purpose at Home Depot.)

Shelves along the other walls get a bit more complicated. Ideally you really don't want the end of a shelf or clothes rod to stand free. But it's possible to build them that way. You just put in inexpensive wall brackets that have a dowel support. Ideally mount them to wall studs. Home Depot sells decorative / protective end-caps for closet dowels. Depending on how fancy you get and how long the shelf is, you're talking maybe $20 to $50 per shelf & rod.

Track systems add to the cost a bit, but make it possible to move pieces either horizontally or vertically, depending on the system. However, I also think track systems eat up a bit of the space, as (vertical) tracks tend to push things out an inch from the wall. Also while track systems are not terribly intrusive, they tend to detract from the aesthetic appeal of the space. Finally, a lot of track systems have fairly wimpy plastic rod supports. This seriously limits the amount weight you can put on them.

My problem gets a bit complicated if you want to install along that 45 degree wall you see in the diagram. (I do.) That would likely involve 4 22.5 degree miter cuts to get shelves to wrap around those 3 walls. Also, wrapping a wooden dowel around that corner would be almost impossible ... but you could use a pipe bender to turn the corners if you're using metal dowels.

In fact, the 45 degree wall is a large part of what complicates the closet. [The others are: 1) I have essentially 6 short walls, and 2) I have a convex corner I need to build around.) If we want to use 45 degree wall, I have no doubt that we either need to mount a bookcase or at least a set of shelves there. It won't work well for clothing. Mounting shelves is an interesting option because I can extend them out into the adjoining space by just using 45 degree miter cuts on the shelves. To maximize the space, I could also mount the shelves by screwing them down to short ledger boards along all 3 walls, eliminating the need for support brackets.

Anyway thoughts and discussions along those lines have led me to suspect that a custom build may be the only way to maximize the use of that space... However, I will entertain the idea of mixing kits and custom, if I can figure out a way to make it all work.

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement