UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tsw1978 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76398  
Subject: Managed Bond Program? Date: 3/5/2005 12:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was wondering if anyone new anything about managed bond programs. I have an investment advisor suggesting a family memeber of 80 years old invest with a small company called Mutual Asset Management out of Denver, CO. I seems to be a managed fund that jumps into bonds and then out again parking the money back into a money market. The figures for the last 10 years look good. The fees are 2% a year. I just can't find any info at all on this company. Michael Ball is the founder and one of the Portfolio Managers.

Please let me know if you've heard of them or if you know anything about these kind of programs.

THANKS!!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44988 of 76398
Subject: Re: Managed Bond Program? Date: 3/5/2005 1:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
It is possible to time bonds - particularly junk bonds - very effectively with some very simple algorithms. Back when it was possible to trade bond funds actively, many people did this.

I don't know about this program, but if their record is good they are probably doing what I and other members of the Fasttrack community used to do when we wanted to trade bonds (which was not very often in my case).

Some people are just trading the ProFunds bond funds now:

http://www.profunds.com/profiles/BondBenchmarked.asp

Long and short funds.

There is also PDHYX, which allows frequent trading, but there is little history on the fund, and I do not know if anybody has been trading it with good results.

Author: tsw1978 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44989 of 76398
Subject: Re: Managed Bond Program? Date: 3/5/2005 2:08 PM
Thanks! I think the trades are not very frequent as well but I just was not sure about this type of program. interesting to hear about your experience with the fasttrack community. It is just blowing my mind this particular botique fund manager and fund have no web presence whatsoever.

Thanks again.

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44999 of 76398
Subject: Re: Managed Bond Program? Date: 3/6/2005 9:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
2% in fees?

There is no way in the world that is justified.

buzman

Author: bogwan Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45006 of 76398
Subject: Re: Managed Bond Program? Date: 3/7/2005 4:50 PM
You would be better off in a vanguard bond fund bond fund. If you want to gamble (literally) try NLY or PCC or any stock with the word 'capital' in it's name.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement