I've posted time and again on this boards about my job search. I've been lost trying to learn how to do this in 2013. However, I learned what I could. I didn't get an interview for six months.Until now.Now, I'm working with three companies at once. Two opportunities that I've been pursuing have gone just past the second interview stage.Then, Monday, I was given a promotion here that was promised to me months ago. I have been aggressively looking around because here, internally, they promised and promised but never delivered. I was promised a new laptop, funding for a database I created, and a promotion. Now, on the cusp of leaving the company, they have given it all to me. Well, close. I don't have anything in writing yet (DANGER WILL ROBINSON). I'm about to burn a major bridge by leaving as they try to hand me a lot more money.But I think I'm ok with that.I'm interested in the thoughts of people close to this situation in your experience. I appreciate it.Ray
The How to Evaluate a Job Offer article on Foolish Wiki may come in handy--http://wiki.fool.com/How_to_Evaluate_a_Job_OfferYour situation seems to be covered pretty well in the article. What are the future prospects at your present employer compared to the new job offers? How well do you know the other companies and their warts and imperfections compared to your present job?
Thanks Paul! I appreciate the article.There's good advice here. My current company is giving me what I asked for, but they promised it right away and made me wait a year for much of it, while I worked long hours on bad equipment with bad data for a pay cut. My pay is been restored, I have a new laptop, and the database will be funded.What hasn't been restored is my faith. I feel like the company will take advantage of me because I can. That's a good reason, in my opinion, to leave.Even if I'm wrong, it is a damaged relationship at this point.Of my immediate options, one is a successful company where I've worked before and the other is an exploding company with a high upside. In my gut I feel that both are better options than staying here.Ray
Well done Ray. The best you can do is think it through and decide which will be best all things considered.
They made the promotion official Monday. My plan is to stop aggressively looking for work, but I think it is important to follow through on everyone who calls based on interest I initiated (networking, applications, etc). I don't want to spoil relationships or turn my back on people who recommended me for jobs. Also, based on my lack of faith, i want to hear everyone out. It took a lot of sweat to get callbacks and interviews, and I'm not about to kill the green shoots right now.That's my philosophy and I think its a sound one. It might result in me accepting a promotion and very quickly leaving the company. So be it. I need to do what is best for my career and had the promotion happened when promised (six months ago) we wouldn't be in this situation.I'm interested in feedback.RayPS: I have one job opportunity do directly to networking, one due to applying on the internet, and one due to reputation at a place I've been before. You never know what will work, so don't turn up your nose to an avenue without trying it first.
Even if I'm wrong, it is a damaged relationship at this point.I think the above statement says it all. The other opportunities seem much better. Once you've lost faith in your employer, as far as I am concerned, you don't get it back.
My plan is to stop aggressively looking for work, but I think it is important to follow through on everyone who calls based on interest I initiated (networking, applications, etc). I don't want to spoil relationships or turn my back on people who recommended me for jobs. Also, based on my lack of faith, i want to hear everyone out. It took a lot of sweat to get callbacks and interviews, and I'm not about to kill the green shoots right now.That's my philosophy and I think its a sound one. My husband lost his first job at the ripe old age of 51 years old. He was a Senior Vice President at a foreign bank. He was out of work for 9 months and due to his constant networking with people he had known in the past he landed a consulting job at another foreign bank. Turned out that an old friend of his was the Head of Human Resources at the bank.Sometimes, it's not what you know but who you know. Most people like to hire people that they know. That's a fact. In my husband's case he was aggressively pursued by headhunters when he was in his early 40's. He had a great reputation which is everything. His resume was stellar but more importantly so was his character.My suggestion is to write thank you e-mails to all the people who helped you along the way. You may need them if things turn sour again at your current place of employment.
Any updates on the new prospects?LWW
Any updates on the new prospects?LWW Actually yes. Thanks for asking.I went through three rounds with a former employer and was told I was the second choice. That discussion came as soon as I gave salary requirements, which makes me think I was deselected because I'm expensive. I'm a mid career professionally and frankly I'm not desperate enough to take a pay cut at this point. I left it on very good terms. The hiring manager offered to recommend me for other jobs in the organization and asked me to let him know when I apply in his company. I added everyone I met on LinkedIn and I plan to use this as a networking opportunity. The general feedback was that I 'interview well'.Finally, I met with an exploding software company in my town. This is a good job. Frankly, it is a dream. I would help start a finance steering group for a company growing faster than they know how. I've made it through three rounds with seven interviews. Tomorrow morning I speak with the CFO in the final interview. I'm well prepared. I really, really want this and I feel like I've prepared my entire career for this opportunity.I'll let you know how it goes. This is the most adventure I've had yet on a job search.Ray
Good luck, Ray! I'll be sending you good wishes that this pans out and is everything you want it to be!LWW
UPDATEMy first choice, the company I really want to work for, called today. Pending a background check, they want to make me an offer late this week. We even talked start dates and salary. They are very sensitive about salary. I gave a range in the first interview (they asked. It was weird) and I continue to tell them that if they peg that range, I'll come.So I need some advice. Is there a graceful way to leave a company with a week of them announcing to the world your promotion?Thanks,RayPS these are good problems to have.
So I need some advice. Is there a graceful way to leave a company with a week of them announcing to the world your promotion?Thanks,No way around the fact that there will be shock and people will feel betrayed. Best advice is to keep everything professional and strictly business. This kind of thing happens. Life goes on.Your boss or supervisors will be more concnerned about how this makes them look rather than what is best for you. I don't mean they are bad people, but anyone who doesn't act this way doesn't have a great sense of self preservation and probably wouldn't be in a supervisory position.Continue to look out for your best interest. The company would look out for theirs. How many stories have you heard during the recession about layoffs and downsizing. I'm sure plenty of people laid off just recieved promotions or were just hired.
I got a verbal offer today.I accepted it (verbally). The good news is that I negotiated a long time horizon so I will get some time off between gigs. I could use a small rest.Now beings the act of trying to gracefully leave a company that moves very slow. They did rewards me. The process just has taken far too long.Ray
Congrats! So far as your current company is concerned. Keep it cordial, explain that this was an offer you simply couldn't pass up, give them your notice and be prepared that they might ask you to leave earlier so they don't have to pay you at your new salary rate in your lsat couple of weeks.We lost a valued employee last August. She handled her leaving with integrity and grace and we parted on good terms.Hope the new job is everything you could wish for!LWW
Update on me:I gave notice. My last day will be Friday. My VP requested an exit interview and we had it today. I was cordial and diplomatic and he was receptive and listened.Now I'm working on relationships, finishing strong, etc. I'm requesting and giving some recommendations (LinkedIn, etc).I've been researching 401K and pension exits. I want that money as soon as humanely possible. I've moved all email addresses away from work to a personal account.What else should I be thinking about? I'm working this week on tying up lose ends.Also: I negotiated a start date with the new company of April 1. I've been in a bad work environment and I'm taking three weeks between gigs to detoxify. I'm going to have a vacation, rest, read some books, and catch up on sleep. I want to hit the ground running with the new company.Any thoughts on that plan?Ray
I've been researching 401K and pension exits. I want that money as soon as humanely possible. If you intend to roll over your 401K into an IRA, be sure to follow all the rules, even if it takes a little longer. You will owe a tax penalty if the transfer isn't done correctly. I've rolled over three 401K's and each one was handled a little differently. If you just want to cash out your 401K, you can, but you'll pay a penalty to the IRS.Karen
What else should I be thinking about?I'm working this week on tying up lose ends.A few I can think of:Get the phone numbers & other contact info for your benefits (these may be different once you're not an active employee).You didn't say anything about COBRA for your health benefits. Once you leave your insurance card may change, you may have to make claim on all 2012 FSA expenses immediately. One thing people don't know is that if you put in (say) $500 for 2013 then you can spend it all even if you didn't put it all in, but it would be for expenses incurred by last day of work.Do you want to port any insurance (life, disability) to an individual policy?Send out email to key people with your personal contact info (email, mobile phone). Don't wait until the last day. If possible, set up replies to your personal account. Set up an Out of Office message last thing with the same info in it.
I've been researching 401K and pension exits. I want that money as soon as humanely possible. I've moved all email addresses away from work to a personal account.If you ren't vested with the 401K, you can move the money to an IRA. In fact, most companies encourage employees who leave to do that. I will make a suggestion that you change the bank that services it if you can. I didn't and really regretted that they severaly limited my choices for investment once I left the comapny I was with.I've been in a bad work environment and I'm taking three weeks between gigs to detoxify. I'm going to have a vacation, rest, read some books, and catch up on sleep. I want to hit the ground running with the new company.I think that's a very good plan. A "spring break" might be just what you need to get in the game at your new place of employment. I would also suggest contacting whoever you are going to be reporting to and finding out if there is anything you need to be up to speed on coming into the new company (maybe research some of their clients or competitors, study up on the corporate culture, etc). Once again, congrats on the new opportunity!LWW
I see that COBRA was mentioned, so I wanted to expand on that. Check to see when your medical coverage under your current job will expire. Some expire the day you leave, but some go to the end of the month. Check also to see when your new coverage starts. It is common nowadays for that to start on Day 1, so you just need to know how much of a gap you have, if any.If there is a gap, then you can have COBRA coverage, but COBRA is paid in arrears, so I wouldn't bother to pay it unless it turns out that you need to have something covered during that time. If that's just a regular doctor's appointment, I'd change it so that it is not in that gap period. If you have an emergency, then you would need the coverage, and can pay for it at the end of the month, but be sure that you get it paid in time.Generally, though, if you have a gap and don't have a medical emergency during that time, you are better off to not pay the COBRA because it is so expensive.If you have more money in your FSA than you have used up, do what you can to spend that money so that you can get your FSA contributions back. And has been pointed out, if you have spent more than has been deducted, you are still entitled to get that, so put your claim in.Good luck on the new job. It sounds like it is a great fit for you.
I've been researching 401K and pension exits.Others have mentioned rolling your 401k to an IRA but you could also roll it into your new 401k. A couple benefits of that are little to no trading fees and a higher 401k balance in case you need to take out a loan.
Best Of |
Favorites & Replies |
Start a New Board |
My Fool |