No. of Recommendations: 34
Many, many years ago, when I was living in Staten Island and between boyfriends, I joined Mensa and went to a social in Manhattan with the thought that I might meet a guy who was intelligent, interesting, fun, etc.

After about an hour I left in disgust. The women at the social were attractive, well-dressed and normal-looking. The men were all shockingly geeky, unkempt, unsociable and unattractive -- really abnormal. I still cringe when I think about them. I never went to another Mensa meeting. I wouldn't be surprised if those creepy guys had a high rate of mental and physical disorders.

In my professional life in academia and industry I have met many, many highly intelligent men who are emotionally well-balanced and capable. I was fortunate enough to marry one of the best. DH is only one of many highly intelligent men who spend their times in productive ways and don't need to join Mensa to stroke their own egos.

The article says, "Superior IQs associated with mental and physical disorders, research suggests

The biggest differences between the Mensa group and the general population were seen for mood disorders and anxiety disorders."

They could just as easily have said that a group of Goths have a high rate of mood disorders and anxiety disorders. The Mensans I met were a self-selected group of outsiders.

The research did not randomly select people in the top 2% of intelligence who are happily working as doctors, scientists, lawyers, engineers, writers, artists, etc in the general, non-Mensa population. Anyone who does social research should be aware of the danger of drawing broad conclusions from a self-selected segment of a population.

Mensans may suffer from mood disorders and anxiety disorders more than the general population. But that doesn't mean that all highly intelligent people do. In fact, people who are successful because they combine emotional intelligence with testable high IQ may have lower rates of mood disorders and anxiety disorders than the general population because they make good money and can afford the finer things in life.

Wendy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement