Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123479  
Subject: Re: Difficulty with Recharacterization Date: 6/19/2005 9:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Many thanks for your reply below. It was immensely helpful. My situation matches your second example, i.e., the conversion was made to an existing Roth IRA. This brings up another problem. Form 1099R shows the value of the conversion (it was securities, not cash) on the day when the conversion was made. I do not know the exact balance in the Roth IRA on that day, but only its balance on the end-of-month statement that month. Additionally, the value of the conversion shown on the end-of-month statement had declined by 1.24% from the day that it was converted (and the amount on form 1099R). So which of the two amounts should I use for the amount of the conversion? Unless, I extrapolated, the only amount that I have for the account value is the end-of-month one.

If all else fails, interpolate between the (start of month + conversion) and end of month. But first, try contacting your Roth IRA custodian and ask them if they can provide the account value immediately before and after the conversion.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.