Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Market cap is $53 billion, so 15x means net earnings over the cycle of about $3.5bn a year.
Pencil in maybe $2000 net profit per vehicle on maybe 1.75 million vehicles per year.
(I can't think of any obvious reason that by the time they are a volume manufacturer their
profitability per unit will be higher than any other mass market builder. Ford makes maybe $1750).
It's quite a climb from 250 cars a day to 4800 per day. e.g, 28%/year compound production and sales growth for 12 years.

You know, this all sounds very reasonable. Sounds like they’ll be a BMW, or Mercedes/Daimler. However, the mistake is you’re trying to compare a disruptive business with stodgy old ones that haven’t changed in a century. Just like with Amazon.

When all is said and done I think chances are Tesla is not a simple car manufacturer. Yes, they’ll have a car division. And a truck division. And a battery division. And a solar roof division. And a charging network division. And then there might be one or two I wasn’t able to think of, just as a year ago nobody seriously thought Tesla would be able to make an electric semi.

Not all of these will become a $50B business in their own right. But chances are more than one will. But no level-headed computation on the back of a beer mat based on comparable businesses will tell you that.

I’m not a Tesla shareholder, the stock is too speculative to my taste. I just drive the car and think it’s fabulous. But any attempt like the one you presented as a counter argument for a Tesla investment is pretty meaningless IMO, because the bet is not on it becoming a BMW. The bet is on its disruption. And so far Tesla is making good on that in spades. And if you’re not a betting man, it’s all good, I understand. I’m not either. But repeating the same beer mat comparisons over and over again just like you do with Amazon gets really old.

Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement