No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm working to re-balance my portfolio and am confused. I use TDA as my broker and the portfolio planner shows things as categorized small caps, large cap, international, fixed income, cash equivelents..etc.. and puts my stocks where they go.

The challenge is I don't know how to choose companies to invest in based on the categories because I can't figure out how to tell which category they are in from TMF SA stock information or even yahoo finance information on the stocks..

I feel like I'm missing something really basic.
Thanks in advance.
Jer
Print the post Back To Top
As I recall, Market Cap is determined by multiplying the share price by the number of outstanding shares. There are 'cutoff values' that split capitalization into 'small', 'medium' and 'large', so you just have to see which 'band' your stock of interest falls into.

Off-hand, I don't recall the 'cutoff values', but I'm sure it's available somewhere on The Fool:-)

Someone correct me if I have that wrong!

HarryG
I can't speak to Stock Advisor information in this forum, but generally, a company with a market cap of $0 to $1b is considered a small-cap company. $1b to $5b is considered a mid-cap company. And companies over $5b in market capitalization is a large-cap company.

Fuskie
Who notes Harry is correct in saying that a company's market capitalization is the product of it's share price by the number of outstanding shares...
Is it fair to note you would usually use the fully diluted share number. Hence if shares are offered by stock options or warrants, etc, the shares outstanding number is increased to include all those offered as though the warrants or options were executed and convertible preferred shares were converted to common, etc.
Advertisement