Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: themeateater Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3604  
Subject: Re: E-books are facing a fuzzy future Date: 8/29/2000 10:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Markpf

1. markpf - I wonder where the business market is for e-books. Seems like another side track into consumer (hence razor thin margin) space.

I think there's a huge market for e-books (especially when coupled with a low-cost dedicated reader using e-paper). Earlier in this thread I cited the a Register Article talking about the importance of e-paper. True, the margins may be razor thin, but the volume could be tremendous. Several specific examples come to mind:

a.) Alternative to low-cost paper back novels. Delivered in a cost effective way directly to your e-paper reader. Steven King (or Harry Potter) could deliver their latest novel to several millions fans electronically, by passing printers, warehouses, book stores, paper mills (and even high speed xerox printers).

b.) Textbooks. Today kids are trudging around with backpacks loaded with twenty plus pounds of generic text books. The same basic result could be accomplished with an e-paper based reader weighing a few pounds. An e-paper based text book could be modularized for specific lesson plans. A special version could be tailered for advanced or slower speed students.

2.) markpf - Respectively eink and adobe have the jump on the efforts of Xrx in terms of getting epaper and ebook meaningful products to market.

This pisses me off to no end. This is a market which XRX should own. Parc did all the landmark research and they seem to be willing to let MSFT, Adobve amd Eink walk away with major pieces. In an earlier post I noted that MSFT big name researchers in this feld have their roots are Parc. They laid out the basic prototype over twenty years ago.

3.) markpf - 3) The spin off strategy (e.g. contentguard) might not be as effective as one would think. The most recent Red Herring issue has an article on intraprenuers as a new trend.

I believe I was the one who posted the link to the Red Herring Article. The spin off strategy may have it's flaws but it's far superior to the Throw away Strategy that XRX is famous for.

4.) Markpf - 4) I am also interested in XRX's efforts in defining themselves as the document management company. Again, I ask myself where are the ads for docushare? Where are the XRX deals with idrive and hotoffice to link docushare with outsourced storage and productivity companies.

This is a good point. As far as I know XRX has no relationship with ilink or hotoffice. IMO - docushare is basically targeted at MSFT Office environments with a need for a large document repository. Docushare marketing is a good topic for another message thread, but the same basic premise holds true - if it doesn't make paper copies it's not a XRX.

http://incotr.cotr.bc.ca/Docushare/en-us/Help/whatis/feat.htm

5.) markpf - instead we get full page ads for low margin inkjet printers.

I don't really mind XRX entering this market segment. IMO - It's a HP power base which they've been using as a jump off point to enter XRX's space. Of course with the razor thin margins execution is critical (not a XRX strength).

6.) markpf - I do really have an interest in the current topic being discussed but wonder if it is yet another tangent for a company that is committed to document management solutions at the business level.

IMO - if XRX wants to be the Business Document Company (instead of the Document Company) they better start downsizing in a very radical manner. They will probably have to shrink to about 50% of their current size. The hard thing would be to draw the lines. This application involves business documents, but this other one involves small office documents, and these are personal documents, and those are non-for profit documents, ........

7.) markpf - pss. At lunch today I was messing around at amazon.com and the noticed that the PARC Purchase circle includes as # 13 Saving Big Blue: Leadership Lessons & Turnaround Tactics of IBM's Lou Gerstner which is higher on the list than Seely Brown's new book on knowledge management.

I have to add both to my reading list.

Bruno the meateater
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement