Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools:

Me again. So I have separated last year, not yet divorced, but soon. My spouse just told me that he has no income to report and is not filing. I am filing and planning on taking the standard deduction.

I have transferred securities to him pursuant to the separation agreement in 2003. Since that is not exactly alimony (since it is not cash), I can't deduct those transfers even though I am technically supporting him.

Question is: if I don't completely trust my spouse' claim that he has no income, should I not take him as an exemption? That is, if I take him as an exemption, would I be liable for his not filing a return even though I file a separate return? My hunch is that I shouldn't take him as an exemption, but just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Thanks again!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.