UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75781  
Subject: Married Filing Seperately & Roth Date: 8/12/1999 9:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a question that just dawned on me. Because of my income, neither I nor my wife are eligable to open a Roth IRA (bummer). What if we filed seperately, could my wife qulalify (her income @30K, mine >160k). I know there would be other tax consiquences but not sure what they'd be.

JLC
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13125 of 75781
Subject: Re: Married Filing Seperately & Roth Date: 8/12/1999 11:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
JLC writes:

I have a question that just dawned on me. Because of my income, neither I nor my wife are eligable to open a Roth IRA (bummer). What if we filed seperately, could my wife qulalify (her income @30K, mine >160k). I know there would be other tax consiquences but not sure what they'd be.

I reply:

The Roth phase-out range for taxpayers who use married-filing-separately status is $0-$10,000. Still want to try it? ;-) --Bob

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13128 of 75781
Subject: Re: Married Filing Seperately & Roth Date: 8/13/1999 7:42 AM
Greetings, JLC, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have a question that just dawned on me. Because of my income, neither I nor my wife are eligable to open a Roth IRA (bummer). What if we filed seperately, could my wife qulalify (her income @30K, mine >160k). I know there would be other tax consiquences but not sure what they'd be.>>

Nice try, but as Bob78164 pointed out the IRS and Congress made that approach virtually impossible. Married persons filing separately must contend with a phaseout range for Roth contributions that starts at $0 of modified adjusted gross income. At $10K, such filers cannot make a Roth contribution. There is one exception. If the couple is legally separated and they have lived apart on every day of the calendar year to which the contribution pertains, then they may use the single filer phaseout range of $95K to $110K to qualify for a Roth IRA contribution. Therefore, unless you go that route, neither you nor your spouse will be able to use the Roth at your income level. Still, all is not lost. You may continue to make a nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA should you wish to do so.

Regards..Pixy

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13131 of 75781
Subject: Re: Married Filing Seperately & Roth Date: 8/13/1999 12:52 PM
I have a question that just dawned on me. Because of my income, neither I nor
my wife are eligable to open a Roth IRA (bummer). What if we filed seperately,
could my wife qulalify (her income @30K, mine >160k). I know there would be
other tax consiquences but not sure what they'd be.

You forgot that it seems to be the goverments policy to discourage marriage through higher taxes.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13139 of 75781
Subject: Re: Married Filing Seperately & Roth Date: 8/13/1999 10:08 PM
<<You forgot that it seems to be the goverments policy to discourage marriage through higher taxes.>>

That and they also discriminate against people with jobs.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement