Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This message is specifically for Roy (TMFTaxes),

I have enjoyed your responses to the many who write under this board, including me. Your style of breaking the original question into sections that may warrant a specific point in reply helps make a lot of sense of both question and answer, and allows me to be reminded of the original question(s) in a clear fashion. Great help to me as your reader, thanks.

Now to my question. I have written before that the family AGI for 1998 will exceed $100K. This will affect several aspects for this year's taxes, including my qualification (NOT!) for converting a traditional IRA to a Roth (darn.) One major reason for the high AGI is because of the little lady. My wife has 1) gained a significant salary increase early on during the year, and 2) made even more attractive by her eligibility and quarterly payout under her employer's bonus plan.

I am presently working overseas, but will conclude my assignment this month, and return to the US thereafter. I wanted to get a head start on tax filing by addressing the potential advantages of filing a Married-Filing Separately tax return, as opposed to a Joint one. The proof of any advantage will be discovered by working through the tax return both ways and calculating the differences. But I would like to know, if you can comment, what areas of concern I should look at specifically, as areas that might affect the taxable results under both types of returns. Again, I know my own picture will have many variables leading to my actual tax, but I figure maybe the big jump in my wife's earnings this year has set up exactly the kind of conditions that might make an alternative filing advantageous. Thanks for your suggestions.

Rob

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement