Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gt0954a One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120819  
Subject: Married Living in separate states. Date: 4/5/2001 8:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,
Im sorry to have only barged in to ask a question.

Background.
Wife and I live in seperate states(me GA, her NY), we are graduate students. Im trying to figure out our taxes. We are filing jointly for federal, but we need to file 2 states. My wife was a part year resident of GA then moved to NYC to do her internship. Im wondering who we deal with the AGI from our federal (combined income) for each state.

Thanks in advance.
Brian... moving to NYC soon, but not soon enough.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49710 of 120819
Subject: Re: Married Living in separate states. Date: 4/5/2001 9:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wife and I live in seperate states(me GA, her NY), we are graduate students. Im trying to figure out our taxes. We are filing jointly for federal, but we need to file 2 states. My wife was a part year resident of GA then moved to NYC to do her internship. Im wondering who we deal with the AGI from our federal (combined income) for each state.

I hope one of you is studying math, because you're going to be doing a lot of it. You'll have to check the instructions for both states to see what your options, if any, are, and then do the calculations to see how you should file. Every state is free to make its own rules about your situation.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Author: gt0954a One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49721 of 120819
Subject: Re: Married Living in separate states. Date: 4/6/2001 1:16 AM
Recommendations: 0
Wife and I live in seperate states(me GA, her NY), we are graduate students. Im trying to figure out our taxes. We are filing jointly
for federal, but we need to file 2 states. My wife was a part year resident of GA then moved to NYC to do her internship. Im
wondering who we deal with the AGI from our federal (combined income) for each state.

I hope one of you is studying math, because you're going to be doing a lot of it. You'll have to check the instructions for both
states to see what your options, if any, are, and then do the calculations to see how you should file. Every state is free to make its
own rules about your situation.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

yeah. this sounds like fun!... oh well. being an EE is close enough. I am deciding for GA ( havent looked at NY yet. ) that I will treat us as 1 person for calculating the % instate income using married jointly. figure thats what ill have to do for NY as well.

Thanks.
Brian

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement