Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
MARTY4444 wrote:
I've noticed that throughout your postings that no one has mentioned the recent agreement with Wizards of the Coast trading card company in Renton, WA., and the publishers of the Harry Potter chidren's book series. It's my understanding that Hasbro owns W of the Coast and should obviously benefit from the agreement. I'm kind of thinking that the Harry Potter cards will be the next "Pokemon" craze this fall and X-mas.

Yeah, I saw that. My opinion? Same old, same old raging profitability for Wizards of the Coast. They're the folks who invented and patented trading card games, bought TSR and introduced a renaissance to the fantasy genre to the mainstream (ready for the Dungeons and Dragons movie this fall, coming with
D&D 3rd Edition?) and masterfully market their products through GOOD QUALITY to make wonderful amounts of money.

There will be WWF and MLB trading card games coming out, probably this year. Harry Potter? Not only Harry Potter trading card games, but Harry Potter role playing games, too. Oh, yeah, don't forget Diablo D&D and Starcraft Alternity.

In short, they're taking what they know, which classically has been only subculture, and found what the mainstream likes, and makes the subculture mainstream. You might not remember the whole addiction problem people had with Magic: the Gathering, but I know you've heard about it with Pokemon, because it started with a video game and moved from there into the collectible cards (which, incidentally, have sold far better than the video game by about 3 to 1 in sales).
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement