Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Re: Accidental Retirement Date: 4/30/2005 2:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Mary, sorry to hear about your worries, but good for you for being heads up and aware.

So many in their 30s go on aimlessly never realizing that their employability might one day be limited. Hence, you are very astute to be planning ahead. The key question is what do you do when you realize that the job you have or the company you are working for is not likely to survive unti retirement age.

One thing for sure is to work over those early retirement numbers and make sure you have a decent plan in place. Save, save, save. You will need it.

So many poor so and sos wind up losing their jobs while they still have a mortgage to pay off or still have kids in college (or worse in high school). Most of them do manage to come up with another job, but good paying jobs can be difficult. Most have to scramble.

Yes, the fine print on the severance packages usually do say no offer if you are offered an "equivalent" job. Of course moving costs for a homeowner can be over $30K these days. So its risky to make that offer unless severance pay would be at least double.

I hate the companies who think they must constantly stir the pot to keep professional employees on their toes. This makes for endless stesses that I think contribute little to productivity. If you are stuck working for a company that thinks this is "good management," I would suggest you get your house in order and serious consider taking the first package you are offered.

If you have your finances in place, the job stresses at such compsnies are really not worth the hassle. No body puts up with such stuff unless they have to. So uncouple those handcuffs and go find something where your efforts are appreciated.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement