Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Mass has a 12% tax on short term capital gains (and some collectibles), but I don't know if it applies to real estate or just securities.

I'm pretty sure the 12% tax applies to all short-term gains. Line 10 of Mass. schedule D ("short-term capital gains") asks you to enter items from lines 1, 2, 4 & 5 of column F, U.S. 1040 schedule D. Instructions for 1040/D say you should "Enter all sales and exchanges of capital assets, in cluding stocks, bonds, etc., and real estate (if not reported on Form 4684, 4797, 6252, 6781, or 8824). But do not report the sale or exchange of your main home unless required."

So, unless the house is your main home/primary residence, and it doesn't get reported on one of the other forms, it seems to me that its sale would fall under the usual capital gains tax treatment.

FYI, The 2005 Mass. long-term rate was the same as income tax, 5.3%.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.