No. of Recommendations: 0
Master Gardeners usually means they're part of a university extension program.

Water is only one part of what a lawn needs. It needs food -- nutrients in the soil -- and sun. Or not so much sun, depending upon the type of grass you're trying to grow.

For example, the grass under my pine tree refuses to grow in one area. I couldn't figure it out until I was out in the morning. Then I saw that the dead patch not only doesn't get much water because of the pine itself (both blocking rainfall and sucking up all available moisture for itself), it also gets baked in the sun for a lot of the morning. The poor grass has no real chance. I thought about planting a shade mix, but now am going to plant groundcover. No mowing!

Did you have your soil tested for pH, and mineral content? Does it drain properly?

Also, a regular watering schedule means that the lawn gets a regular amount of water, not that you turn the taps on for the same amount of time each week. You need to know how much rain has fallen and change your watering accordingly.

But I think your best bet is to have an expert come out and diagnose your situation.

Good luck,

Chopec
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement