Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I believe you are entitled to take the "Blue Book" value of the car you donated. Also, you may be entitled to include the value of upgrades (new tires, etc) you recently added to the car as long as you have documentation to prove it. If you go directly to the IRS site, they have an option to submit a question.

No, as previous posters pointed out, you are legally allowed to claim Fair Market Value of property you donate to a qualified organization.

Publication 526 defines fair market value as "the price at which property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither having to buy or sell, and both having reasonable knowledge of all the relevant facts."

It also gives a specific example about distinguishing between "blue book" and "fair market value."
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.