UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: EBlakemore Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: EBlakemore Date: 5/9/2000 9:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Matt, Re: Why Bond funds?

I thought I had addressed your questions, but let me boil down my thinking to the exec. summary version.

First off, I hate funds.

I especially see little use for bond funds, for many of the reasons that others have discussed here, as well as my general distrust of the level of "expertise" of bond fund managers, and the tricks fund managers must play to deliver marketable returns, compared to what I could do at home. My strong feeling is that funds (and their intellectual ancestors, the 1920s investment trusts) embody far more risk than those marketing them will freely and in plain language admit.

So if you ask me "Why should I own bond funds?" my simple answer is "You shouldn't." But then I also feel that neither should people open themselves up to the uncharted (and, I feel, insufficiently disclosed) risks of equity funds.

I do feel that the risk/reward ratio is *probably* a little better for holders of equity funds as a class, and there are also exceptions I might make for a handful of fund managers who have gained my respect over the years in running specialty funds that invest in ways that I would find difficult to do at home.

Putting aside my dislike of funds, please refer to my previous message for the details on why I feel that owning bonds (not bond funds) provides a *different* and important form of portfolio insurance that MMs and equity funds (by and large) are unable to provide.

It is *possible* that investing in a small portfolio of established, dependably dividend-paying common or preferred issues *may* give you similar current income protection in retirement, but *nothing* guarantees that any common stock will pay dividends in perpetuity, and even those that do pay out earnings to shareholders may find themselves forced to cut dividends in a long-term downturn. If that decade (or generation or century) of tight earnings growth is preceded by a collapse in equity prices it will be too late to rebalance towards bonds without taking a major hit in the value of your remaining principal.

Of course, I also don't know the details of any pension, profit-sharing or other sources of retirement income you may be looking forward to relying on. If you already effectively *have* a good deal of stable, guaranteed income in the form of pension, annuities or other sources, there may be no real benefit to you personally in heaping up more bonds, when chances are good that you are holding a significant chunk of bonds by proxy in those other instruments.

My 2 cents, compounding at some unknown rate, possibly negative... {smile}
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement