Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58627  
Subject: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 90% D Date: 11/16/2012 9:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
...McConaughey, who is nearly 6 feet tall, says that through the process he discovered that his diet had more of an impact on his weight loss than his exercise regime did. "I'm doing cardio but I'll tell you what, the more I've learned is — and I think it comes with age, too — is it's 90 percent diet," he explained. "It's 90 percent amount and then what you're eating because right now I'm not losing any more weight if I burn 1,500 calories — two hours of cardio in an afternoon — or if I don't. It doesn't matter. It's a matter of how much I eat or how little I eat."...

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/balancedliving/matthew-mcconaughe...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57380 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/16/2012 9:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Title got truncated--should read: "(Weightloss is) 90% Diet"

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57382 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/16/2012 10:24 AM
He is looking so gaunt! I hope after he's wrapping up filming he puts some of the weight back on.

I can agree that for him it would be 90% diet, as he couldn't possibly make himself that thin by exercise alone, and I would think that he wouldn't even have the energy to do much exercise once he'd lost such a significant amount of weight below what's considered healthy for a man of his height and build.

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57383 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/16/2012 10:29 AM
"The organs shrink, so my stomach has shrunk as well," he says. "So as much as I can't wait to have that cheeseburger, on that day, it'll be damn hard to eat the whole thing."

Well, he's figured out how to lose weight, but he still believes in the stomach shrinking myth. From Eastern Illinois University:

http://www.eiu.edu/dining/files/25%20Common%20Food%20Myths.p...

LWW

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57384 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/16/2012 11:34 AM
I never did believe in the stomach-shrinking thing either--nor the mantra that 'to lose weight, you need to eat more because your body is in a starvation mode'.

About the stomach-shrinking, I think that we get used to having a certain level of fullness and gradually ratcheting that down to become accustomed to less volume in the stomach is misinterpreted as our stomach shrinking.

And thanks for the link--pretty much stuff we already know--though I do disagree with the 'exercise makes you eat more' as a myth. Most definitely strenuous exercise will make you hungrier--while not necessarily within 20 minutes (in fact I've found that exercises temporarily depresses appetite immediately afterwards) but later in the day, you will be hungrier--much hungrier. That's why I now limit myself to moderate exercise for weightloss--otherwise I'm defeating the purpose. IOW there is a balance needed.

Oh yeah--keep in mind McConaughey lost the weight to play an aids patient...I thought he was becoming an anorexic...good to know it was just for a role.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57385 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/16/2012 5:05 PM
Oh yeah--keep in mind McConaughey lost the weight to play an aids patient...I thought he was becoming an anorexic...good to know it was just for a role.

Yep. That's why I said I was hoping he'll put some of the weight back on after the shooting wraps up. I've been watching him through the supermarket checkout lines for a few months. He's scary skinny!

LWW

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57386 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/19/2012 9:52 AM
From my perspective, weight loss seemed like 90% diet once I got down close to the healthy BMI range. To be precise, I don't think I could have gotten into the healthy BMI range without controlling what I eat.

THBS, exercise was important. It just happened to be the side of the equation that came easier to me. Controlling the diet was the final piece of the puzzle I added to achieve success. Maybe diet was less than 90%, objectively; but it was the part I needed to pay attention to.

In the case of Matthew McConaughey, I'd guess that diet is at least 90% of the effort objectively and possibly more. That's because he is deliberately shrinking to an unhealthy low weight for a movie role. Absent having a real health problem, he won't be able to maintain that low weight without a really low calorie diet.

It's kind of the flip side of actors who put on 30 pounds for a movie role, except I think he'll find it easier to put the pounds back on than actors who add weight find it to take the pounds back off.

Patzer

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57387 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/19/2012 10:22 AM
Recommendations: 1
As someone would used to work out 2 hrs a day, 6 days a week (1 hr advanced cardio and 1 hr weight-training), I finally figured out I got much leaner once I cut back a lousy 200 calories on my daily food intake and rarely ever allowing myself a cheat day--and at the same time also cutting waaaaay back on my exercise routine (which I had to wake up at 5:30 am to do). I mean--pretty much abandoned it other than moderate, short workouts a few days a week.

I think the diet as the most critical component of weightloss is illustrated by looking at the calorie counts of most popular foods in the American diet and comparing those counts to the calories burned by exercise. It's nearly impossible for a person with a normal life to do enough exercise to burn off the calories in bad food choices.

So--from a practicality standpoint--it's easier to just bypass the super-sized order of fries and large milkshake- to begin with than it is to jog off the calories consumed---even a freakin' whole grain bagel from Dunkin' Donuts has nearly 400 calories--and that's without cream cheese--and a bran muffin is even worse.

Also people fall into the trap of thinking "I read food X is 'healthy', and everyone knows not being overweight is also 'healthy' so that must mean that eating food X will cause you to lose weight! Forget the fact that 'food X' is olive oil at 120 calories a TB or walnuts at 200 calories for a lousy 1/4 c. No-you can ignore calories and drench all your salad with olive oil and toss back handful after handful of walnuts as snacks--and you'll magically arrive at your ideal weight because these things are 'healthy'.

Sorry for the rant...(but people can be extremely stupid or in extreme denial)

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57388 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/19/2012 1:56 PM
I hope so too. He looks unhealthy. I think that's what the part is.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57389 of 58627
Subject: Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date: 11/19/2012 2:01 PM
I hope so too. He looks unhealthy. I think that's what the part is.

Yes, it in the role he's playing an AIDS patient. It certianly shows dedication to the character., but I hope the weight comes back easily.

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement