Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello. All advice is appreciated. I'm trying to see if I can further increase my 401K contribution by stating a higher deduction number on my W4 form from my employer. I currently use a zero, which pretty much gives me the highest refund at the end of the year. I also know this is not the smartest way to handle my money (basically giving the government an interest free loan). But by assigning a higher deduction number, like a one or two, I'll get more in my paycheck and less at the end of the year. What I would like to know is if I could redirect the extra money I get in my gross paycheck with a higher deduction number to my 401K? I would rather my extra gross pay go directly into my 401K. I also hope that by increasing my 401K contribution, say from 10 to 15 percent, I'll further reduce my taxable income and that this would counter a possible tax payment (because of the higher deduction numbers on the W4). Does this make sense to anyone? Or does anyone know of a good website that would allow me to come up with the best plan regarding this scenario? Thank you.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.