No. of Recommendations: 0
The maximum pre-tax contribution to a 401(k) for 2000 is $10,500, but does anyone know what the limit is for 2001 (and later)? I've tried searching the IRS site, but can't find anything.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
It should be $11,000 or 25% of your income whichever is less and assuming you aren't in the group to be deemed highly compesated which can have a different limit.

JB
ubject: Re: Maximum 401(k) contribution for 2001?
Author: jbking Date: 7/13/00 8:07 PM Number: 23352
It should be $11,000 or 25% of your income whichever is less and assuming you aren't in the group to be deemed
highly compesated which can have a different limit.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ????? :^} What say thee?

What are the "different" contraints for the highly compensated group you speak of. I just momentarily, happen to be one in that group, but am still living under the illusion that I too am also limited to 10,500 or which is less. $ 10,500 is less.

Go ahead, now.....................
Show me the new money! WoooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The constraint involves what is often called Testing which is to ensure that those in the highly compensated group are not more than 2% away from those in the other group. So, if the non-highly compensated are only contributing 6% you can only contribute 8% or the cap whichever is less instead of that big 25%.

JB
Gothcha! I hoped u might be referring to being able to INCREASE the upper limit somehow.....

Now that u mention it, one year money was returned for just the reason you cited.... thank you!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Chekat, and welcome. You asked:

<<The maximum pre-tax contribution to a 401(k) for 2000 is $10,500, but does anyone know what the limit is for 2001 (and later)? I've tried searching the IRS site, but can't find anything. >>

The limit for 2001 won't be announced until sometime in December, and it will be based on inflation for this year. If inflation on this year's limit of $10.5K is $500 or more, then the amount will go up by $500. If inflation is less than $500, there will be no change.

Regards..Pixy
No. of Recommendations: 1
The maximum pre-tax contribution to a 401(k) for 2000 is $10,500, but does anyone know what the limit is for 2001 (and later)?

The inflation adjustment for 2001, if any, will be based on the September 2000 CPI. After a little treasure hunt through the Code, you'll find this in section 415(d). For 401(k)'s, the minimum adjustment is $500, and the rounding is always down.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Advertisement