Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 2001, I was employed for part of the year and used the opportunity to max out my 401(k). I then opened my own law office which I operated as a sole proprietorship. (I worked from home and avoided qualifying for the office-in-home deduction, so I had almost no expenses.) I earned approximately $10,000 in 2001 from my law office. In addition, I maxed out my IRA contributions, and now that I have confirmed that our 2001 income will not disqualify us from doing so, I have recharacterized those contributions as Roth contributions.

This year, I have accepted a position with another law firm and again anticipate maxing out my 401(k). However, although I closed my law office today, I anticipate collecting approximately $10,000 this year for work that I performed in 2001. So may I open a SIMPLE for either 2001 or 2002? If I do, will that increase the amount of money that I can save tax-deferred? --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.