Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: spinalpap Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2786  
Subject: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 10:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
maybe Nokia will acquire them....ahh its good to dream.

:-)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kindcapitalist One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1429 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 10:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have owned ERICY since 1994. In my experience, the stock price goes through periods of loss, treading water, and wonderful growth. I simply ignore it for the most part, during the bad times, which may say something about my psyche. But, my initial investment always seems to have increased by more than any investor has a right to expect -- what Peter Lynch called a 10 bagger I believe.

I remember a post that reported how profitable it is to buy ERICY shares at points like this, and sell when it raises by 2 points. The writer showed how this could be profitable, even with brokerage fees, but I think his/her trading was in a retirement account. My practice with this stock has been to hold it. What are others doing, and why are they doing it?

Unless people have anything to report about a deterioration in the quality of management and direction, I am hopeful that my experiences of the past will predict the future. If not, I guess I should have taken some profits when things were at their high. Maybe this is a good lesson for me.

What do other long term holders think? Are any becoming worried?

Author: baw3090 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1430 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 11:10 AM
kind,
I agree with your strategy. I bought my intitial Ericy shares in October 1998 at $15 (before the 4:1 split). I sold 40% of these at $89.75 (again before the split). The company continues to grow at a healthy clip and is increasing its market share in 2G and 3G infrastructure. IMHO the stock is attractively priced here. The whole telecom industry is out of favor right now so it may tread water for a while but these things are impossible to predict. In my experience, you'll be out of phase with the market if you follow what the analysts are saying. Recently I picked up some additional stock so that my position now exceeds my initial share of the company by 50%.
- Birdie

Author: JulesD Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1431 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 12:10 PM
<In my experience, you'll be out of phase with the market if you follow what the analysts are saying>

I think you can follow what's being said without being carried away by it - interesting that prior and after earnings I have not seen any sell recommendations on ERICY, unlike NOK which has been downgraded to sell at least twice. With all the recent trauma for ERICY I have to say I found that surprising.

Julian

Author: baw3090 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1432 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 12:39 PM
Julian,
By "follow the analysts" I meant actually doing what the analysts are recommending. In my opinion, that's a good way to get out of phase with the market (not something I would recommend).
- Birdie

Author: mck7238 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1433 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
maybe Nokia will acquire them....ahh its good to dream.

This is one of the most silly ideas I have heard in a long time. Ericy is the leading infrastructure co for wireless technologies. It is a huge, well respected company. Nokia is a handset maker that wants to gain some market share in infrastructure. My bet is with Ericy.

If I didn't own so much now, I would be buying more. This company will trade in this range and then reward its shareholders as the economy improves.

My opinion.

Melody

Author: baw3090 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1436 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 1:17 PM
Melody,
I agree with you. I think Ericsson is very well positioned. Margins in the handset business are going to be under pressure with more players coming to market.
- Birdie

Author: dingof Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1437 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 1:20 PM
Very true, most people don't realize that ERICY is the largest and best company in the world in infrastructure co for wireless technologies (Networks.) Their phone sector is only ~20% and it seems to get most of the attention, since analysts try to find the worst possible news they can get their hands on. After all who wants to hear good news, right ?

I bought this stock for one reason and this is to make lots of money down the road. I believe it is currently way undervalued and soon people will realize that.
They are making rather interesting deals all over the world even in China.

Fool On!

Author: JulesD Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1438 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 1:28 PM
<Margins in the handset business are going to be under pressure with more players coming to market.>

Birdie,

I'm interested to know which players you're referrring to.

Also, if you haven't seen it I would recommend this post on SI with an article from Barron's on ERICY and NOK.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stocktalk/msg.gsp?msgid=15256348

excerpt -

<At first glance, the Swedish firm's handset woes would seem to be Nokia's boon, since the Finnish giant gets about 70% of its revenues and 85% of profits from handsets.
Lindberg, however, points out that the Ericsson move is more evidence that handsets are rapidly becoming a commodity and should be treated as such. Average handset selling prices are falling, and Nokia gets a relatively small amount of revenues from 3G
infrastructure, which it's quickly trying to bulk up>

Author: baw3090 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1439 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 2:35 PM
JulesD,
Thanks for pointing me towards the Barron's article. I was referring to the expanding pool of handset manufacturers, especially in Asia. I haven't looked at any investment opportunities here but I believe Flextronics will benefit from economics of scale.
- Birdie

Author: idealize One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1440 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/29/2001 11:55 PM
if i was hellstrom, i'd sell or maybe licence the handset operation to someone that could take the technology and make it desirable. sony for instance.
this would leave ericy to focus on where they are strong: 3g infrastructure.

Author: geho Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1441 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/30/2001 2:56 AM
What do you suggest they call the phones then?
Sony or Ericsson?
Ericsson can't be, 'cause the won't sell their brand.
And why would Sony want to buy, for the hardware?
Forget it.
The key to these babies is the software inside, I doubt that Ericsson is giving away its strength here.
Gerd

Author: geho Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1442 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/30/2001 2:58 AM
afterall, they are technological masterpieces.
Design and marketing is another matter.
Gerd

Author: idealize One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1446 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/30/2001 11:47 PM
it's all about synergy. take a great technology and a great product designer and put them together. a lot of 3g phones are going to get sold in the coming years, i'm sure both companies could benefit.

Author: Eagle6442 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1447 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/31/2001 8:12 AM
Interesting that the analysts and all the focus on this board have nothing to do/say about the Ericcson of the future--the worldwide leader in wireless infrastructure. Drive your car looking thru the rear view window and plan to miss the turn. ERICY price has "turned up"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: baw3090 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1448 of 2786
Subject: Re: maybe Date: 1/31/2001 8:39 AM
Eagle,
Did you read my posts 1419,1425 and 1445? The market is fickle sometimes.
- Birdie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement