UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58859  
Subject: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 4/30/2013 9:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
... is a little less fiction.

Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Dunn_and_the_Anti-Gravity... ) was one of the first books I remember reading for a book report. Maybe anti-gravity is a possibility.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/04/does-antimatter-fall-...
How deep does the asymmetry between matter and antimatter go? Each type of particle (electrons, protons, etc.) have antimatter partners: positrons, antiprotons, and so forth. These antiparticles have an opposite electric charge (unless they're neutral), but otherwise behave much like their matter counterparts. But one interesting question remains unanswered: does antimatter possess antigravity, experiencing a repulsive force when matter experiences attraction? And, even if antimatter experiences plain old gravity, does it behave in exactly the same way as matter does?

I'm still waiting for my unmetered nuclear generated electricity, personal jet pack, and flying car that my Weekly Reader promised me.

PF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49210 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 4/30/2013 10:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I'm still waiting for my unmetered nuclear generated electricity, personal jet pack, and flying car that my Weekly Reader promised me.

About the only things I can think of off-hand that met the 50s/60s predictions of the future are computers and communications. Actually, computers exceeded expectations. They're small, not generally covered with blinking lights, and you don't need to talk to them unless you prefer to. I think they regarded typing as menial--for secretaries--back then, and professionals would never be interacting in the future is such a menial way!

Where are the tricorder-like medical devices & virtual surgery, economies so blessed that no money is needed, domestic servant-robots and everyday interplanetary--even interstellar--travel?

At least fruit juice wasn't really replaced by Tang, and food was (mostly) not replaced with just-add-water-and-microwave.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49212 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 4/30/2013 10:58 PM
Recommendations: 0
"... is a little less fiction.

Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Dunn_and_the_Anti-Gravity...... ) was one of the first books I remember reading for a book report. Maybe anti-gravity is a possibility.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/04/does-antimatter-fall-......
How deep does the asymmetry between matter and antimatter go? Each type of particle (electrons, protons, etc.) have antimatter partners: positrons, antiprotons, and so forth. These antiparticles have an opposite electric charge (unless they're neutral), but otherwise behave much like their matter counterparts. But one interesting question remains unanswered: does antimatter possess antigravity, experiencing a repulsive force when matter experiences attraction? And, even if antimatter experiences plain old gravity, does it behave in exactly the same way as matter does?

PF "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Personally, I am waiting for someone to suggest the correlation to
duality and separation within the asymmetry between matter and
antimatter.

Howie52
Life has a strong tendency toward the silly which on occasion
can be hastened.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49218 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 4/30/2013 11:50 PM
"Personally, I am waiting for someone to suggest the correlation to
duality and separation within the asymmetry between matter and
antimatter." - Howie52

------------------------

I thought it was obvious? Positive versus negative, etc. They are inherent and inescapable properties of our Universe.

Art

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49236 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 5/1/2013 12:36 PM
Where are the tricorder-like medical devices & virtual surgery, economies so blessed that no money is needed, domestic servant-robots and everyday interplanetary--even interstellar--travel?

A flip phone look a lot like a Star Trek communicator.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49237 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 5/1/2013 1:07 PM
About the only things I can think of off-hand that met the 50s/60s predictions of the future are computers and communications. Actually, computers exceeded expectations. They're small, not generally covered with blinking lights, and you don't need to talk to them unless you prefer to. I think they regarded typing as menial--for secretaries--back then, and professionals would never be interacting in the future is such a menial way!

And you can deposit a check with your phone!

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49241 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 5/1/2013 1:24 PM
"And you can deposit a check with your phone!" - sykesix

If it wasn't for going to the bank I wouldn't have any social interaction with hardly any humans all day long. I really would be a hermit then.

Art, "PhD... Philosopher, hermit, Dreamer"

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49253 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 5/1/2013 4:42 PM
<<Danny Dunn and the Anti-Gravity Paint >>

I think I remember reading this.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49494 of 58859
Subject: Re: Maybe an childhood science fiction book ... Date: 5/11/2013 3:52 PM
I vaguely remember Danny Dunn; I was more of a Tom Swift kinda guy.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement