Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PanemetCircenses Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58676  
Subject: Re: 1/14 Weigh-In Date: 1/14/2005 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Maybe I should post this in a different thread since I am no longer actually trying to lose weight?

In any case, I came in this morning at 185. Down 1.5 from my last "official" weigh-in, although other than that day I have consistently come in at 184.5-185.5 every day for the last two weeks.

One new data point is that I headed out to the pool at the gym last night just to splash around and relax (needed a day off from working out). I finally sink in the pool rather than float, so apparently my body composition is changing in the right direction. Also, my waist circumference has gone down another inch since my last measurement (about a month ago I think -- unfortunately I didn't note the date).

Anyway, still on target with my current goals. Looking to stay in the 180's and work on body composition. Have actually been working on eating more calories to try to stimulate muscle development.

I have also been reworking my diet to the same end. Since my primary goal is no longer simply to reduce fat, I have been increasing the amount of carbohydrates in my diet and switching to a five meal/day regimen. The meal pattern I have come up with seem to correspond fairly closely to The Zone's pattern of balancing lean protein and low-GI carbohydrates in each meal and adding fat judiciously and in moderation.

FWIW, I have found that it is really hard to over-eat if you stick to lean protein (e.g., egg whites, LF cottage cheese, b/s chicken breasts, fish fillets, extra lean ground beef, etc.) and low-GI carbohydrates and make sure your fats come from thinks like olive oil vinaigrettes on salads. I have actually been finding it difficult to get over 2000-2500 calories/day eating this way -- and it seems like I am eating all the time.

Also, to those of you trying to lose weight who think you might have problems with insulin resistance, I really, really encourage you to look at an intelligently implemented "low-carb" diet such as the one Agatston presents in South Beach. Don't just rely on second-hand hearsay or popular media as to what the diet involves -- take a look at it yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. You might end up modifying it to suit your own needs, but the way of eating it propounds is very rational and healthful.

All the best,
B+C
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement